Not sure what to do...please help

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by TanakaJones, Aug 14, 2015.

1. TanakaJones

TanakaJones Newbie

Truck:
    86 base
    Hello have an 86 pickup 2wd completely stock and I'm not sure in which direction i should go. I would like to either build up the 22r already inside the truck and convert it to to throttle body injection and eventually turbo it or swap a 7mgte in it. Which would be more feasible?

2. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    I love the 22r but the $$$needed to make power I would engine swap. 7m or 1jz or 1UZFE. all depends on your budget and can you be w/o a truck will doing an engine swap and or can you/friends do it? lots to think about. you can do bolt on parts for the 22r but once "done" you not making lots of power/torque.

3. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    If you are looking for power I'd go engine swap and 7m would be most feasible. 1jz 2jz and 1uz are also cool options but probably require more money.

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Some parts thrown onto a 22r can make it more fun for sure but it the juice ain't worth the squeeze to turbo.

7m/1-2jz are sweet but unless all you want to do is go fast straight you'll end up with a nose heavy lawn dart.

2-3rz are great swaps and even bone stock make more horsepower than a mild 22r but they respond realy well to turbo's.

My personal favorite swap and the one I plan on doing is a 3sge from a Japanese altezza. You can get them bolted to a 6 speed with wiring harness etc for about $1500 shipped on ebay. The intake and exhaust is on the same side as r series so that makes things easier and they are 210 horsepower bone stock. :D

5. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    Love these swap threads, I learn more and more about Japanese engines. I'd agree with the 3sge swap. 200hp and a 6 speed. stock for that price.

To bad the 3sgte is turned the wrong way. Anyone ever heard/seen of a mid-mounted engine in a toy pickup?

6. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Over the years, this has been done a number of times in various minitrucks. But these usually use a GM engine with the Oldsmobile Toronado Turbohydromatic FWD transmission. I have never seen one done with a more recent transverse FWD drivetrain, though, which would be sweet since you can then get a manual transmission drivetrain such as the Ford SHO Taurus (200+ hp, YAMAHA V6), NSX, or the aforementioned 3SGTE.

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    3sgte is no problem to bolt in place of a 3sge. Swap the oil pan and bolt that shiat in.

8. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    The 7mgte tho... can easily mount to his stock w-series transmission if he takes the bell housing from a non turbo 7m along with the clutch fork, throw out bearing, slave cylinder, clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel. Or at least so I have heard. I think you need the non turbo 7m motor mounts too.

9. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Sure it can be made to work without too many issues. I have the bellhousing and complete clutch setup sitting here to do the swap. Funny enough even if I had the engine to put in I'd still go with the 3sge since a 6 speed behind a lighter engine is always more fun in the twisties. :D

10. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Leave it bone stock, fill it with premium, bump timing back 6 degrees and spray 150hp of nitrous thru it.

Emissions legal, will have enough power to be stupid, and won't cost more than 500 bucks.

11. TanakaJones

TanakaJones Newbie

Truck:
    86 base
    Im still torn between doing a swap or just building up the 22r. How hard is it to get 150-180 hp out of the 22r and on an unrelated note would i be able to tow lets say an 87 mr2 with my truck.

12. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    The 22R is one SOLID little solid!! They make damn good power, yes with a little bit of money! Get the head worked, cam, Weber 38/38 carb, headers, full exhaust and if you really want it solid then slap some heavy duty internals in there!!

As for a swap I really liken the 3sge or gte swap idea!! Like WhiteTrash said you can get Japanese 3sge Beams motors straight from Japan on ebay or any of the JDM motor importers all day long for $1500!!!

As for towing the MR2, yeah prob not! :thinking: It could be possible but with a lot of work from motor, suspension and chassis!! I've got an 18ft dual axle PJ trailer that weights 2500lbs "by itself" which puts right around 600-700lbs on the hitch! It gives my 99 4Runner a run for its money sometimes and I've got Firestone helper bags and Bilstein HD shocks and a weight distribution and sway control and a B&M trans cooler but it still works the motor and trans pretty hard!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015