non sr5 speedo

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by crashburnoveride, Dec 28, 2012.

1. crashburnoveride

crashburnoveride Member

Truck:
    88 reg cab pickup
    Is there 2 or 3 bulbs that light up the face on a non SR5 cluster??? And just two in the climate controls??

2. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You mean like this one? This is from my '86 parts truck.

Note that what's on top in the picture of the front is on the bottom in the picture of the back. It looks like there are two bulbs illuminating the speedometer. I'll have to go out and look at the climate cluster tomorrow.

3. crashburnoveride

crashburnoveride Member

Truck:
    88 reg cab pickup
    Damn. I put two led reds in there basically by feel cuz the speedo cord wouldnt come out and it doesnt look red enough for me. I was hoping there were 3 lights and a green was still weakening my red. Hmm. Ya thatd be awesome if u checked. Thnx for the pic. Great help.

4. crashburnoveride

crashburnoveride Member

Truck:
    88 reg cab pickup
    Heres a pic of it. Maybe my floor lights are outshining the dash...

[​IMG]

5. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    from my experience with LED lights, the light emitted is always whiter or more washed out than the color the LED bulb glows. the reddest emission from a LED red comes from off-axis. So unless you can point them just right so it's not direct lighting and more side lighting, you're gonna want to try something else.

One thing I recommend, depending on the dash assembly, is colored film. Get the dark stuff or it's gonna come out too light once you light it up. Hobby shops or places like Michaels will sometimes have styrene plastic sheets.

This is awesome stuff, and as long as it's translucent, you're golden. The possibilities are endless if you want custom designs or whatever. Make sure you sandwich the film between the solid black and frosted translucent white layers of your dash if you want to see the color when your lights are off. If you want to see the color only when the lights are on, put it behind both layers.

Custom colored tinting from those "fast and the furious" style custom shops is another option, but it might not be as cheap. I think you can also get heat resistant films that work for professional stage lighting, but that's outside my knowledge base.