no power help???

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by TP88, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 toyota pickup singl-cab
    ohh ya i know my battery comes off when ever im doing somthing like this but ya all the fuses under the hood are good im a chek the ones inside

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Check the small wire on the starter with the female conector on it make sure it's connected we'll. check your starter relay as well

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Ya but I think the lights would still come on.It's gotta be a ground.Or that fuse you were holding do you have power to that?

4. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    scrub88 i did i seen that its had some sort of oil like stuff on it so i got parts cleaner and cleand it all off and put it back in and nothing still

MALESSOHOMEGROWN: ya im dont know im stumped

5. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    The schematic says there's only 2 things in front of the ignition switch from keeping it from starting starter relay metal cased in the engine bay and clutch cancel switch under the dash on pedal . That's assuming your fuses and battery and starter are all functioning wich sounds like it they are

Bypass the ignition switch test run a small wire down to the female clip on the starter then up to the battery touch it to positive clutch pressed in parking break on

6. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    well the truck turns over cuz i push started it and it turnd on but since there is no power it just died after a few sec i cheked all my grounds with a test light to the + side of the battery and they are good and the fuse box both inside the cab and outside the cab are good no blown fuses im stumped :verdict_in::brickknock::thinking:

7. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    how do thos wiers run for the 80amp fuse i could have put them back rong

8. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    No on the fuse a fuse is simply a safety device for voltage overload or spikes to protect the the circuit and device from damage ...

U need to perform the test I mentioned its a test that bypasses the ignition switch starter solenoid and starter relay if it stays running then there's three things to look at. Also a battery can be charge and hold a good charge but once the starter demands the high cranking amps the battery voltage quickly drops u may have bright headlights but nothing when the key is turned

9. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    Ok just so I fully understand is there power and lights when you turn key to the first click and everything shuts off when you give the key another click to start it? Or is there just no lights or anything else whatsoever?

10. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Yea kinda confused about that to lights work or the hazards radio or nothing at all

11. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    Nothing at all on first click and nothing at all on 2nd click and nothing when trying to turn it on sry for not clearing that up guys

12. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    get a test light

connect the batt, make sure its tight and any wires to the terminals do not wiggle

connect test light clip to positive terminal

touch probe to motor, body (inner fender and cab), frame on bare metal (hint: a bolt) if it lights up your grounds are good.

move test light clip to negative terminal on batt

turn the key to "run" and turn on all switches (lights, heater, ect) use the probe and work down stream touching both sides of every connection starting with the terminal, then the wires, back of fuse block on both sides of all fuzes.

probe should light up everywhere, if it doesnt then there is your problem

remember to work downstream from the batt to the interior fuse panel

also take a pic that shows the whole passenger side inner fender so we can see the wiring

13. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    A test light is key when sourcing a power supply problem . How's the condition of your ignition/key cylinder loose or worn out feeling have u checked the link between your alternator power supply wire located buy your coil . Hard to think that if your fuses are good batt is good and and starter relay is good if u did front end work wich involved moving the harness maybe a wire was cut broke or burned or shorting out

14. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    So I tryed what shonuff said with the test light and I have ground but no powere on my harnes at all when I turn my key no lights come on no nothing at all

15. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I've heard of some trucks having a circuit breaker under the glove box somewhere I don't have one haven't seen one yet . Also do u have a small wire coming from the battery to the fuse block under the hood ...have had some say that they have a fusable link in the wire built in the wire haven't seen this either believe it was 84 and lower check and see if your getting power to the fuse block ..then it's time to remove the interior fuse block and examine the back of it .....does your hazards work ? Also Need to see if the interior fuse block is getting power to it will tell more
    Have you tried another battery from another car or one of those booster jump things

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  16. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    i think its going to be the fuse box under the hood the part i put up a pic of on page 2 the one im holding i think i put it back rong cuz it bults on if anyone can tak a look at theres and see how its conected would be great

17. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    try cleaning all the bttery terminals and sand the ground connection from the batt to the body. make sure your batt hashas enough power to even run the truck. my truck had the same symptoms before i cleaned the ground. you could try cleaning the ground connections in the truck behind the plastic kick panel. good luck.

18. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    Can you take a pic of both sides of it so I can see how you have it hooked up?

19. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    Malessohonegrown: chek it out bro this is how i have the 80amp fuse connected to the fuse box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. TP88

TP88 Enthusiast

Truck:
    bump