Newbie With 86 Turbo Truck

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by PERTANO, Dec 6, 2007.

1. PERTANO

PERTANO Newbie

So out of neccessity I went out and had to buy a truck. I'm not a truck fan and after selling my X-Runner a little over a year ago I didn't want to get another one. This led to that and I need one. I didn't want a car payment so that stopped me from getting the new Tundra, otherwise I would have. But a friend of mine was selling this truck. I got it for much less then he was asking for it and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The body is clean, interior is nice and it runs great.

I want to convert it to a LSD rear end and I have a #5 unit from a 89 Supra. Will this work? Also as far as other modifications go, what is really out there for it? I can't seem to find anyone that supports this truck. Do you guys have any links or know of any places that I can go to to get some support on this one? I don't want it to be the fastest thing on the street, but a little more pep in it's step would be nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ace89 likes this.
  2. Guam_Guy

Guam_Guy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 Toy in the Project phase!
  3. F1000X

F1000X Member

God DAMN! Nice ride!

4. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Welcome !

Hell, witha nice clean ride thats over 20 years old like you got, dont know why you would need to go faster :D ! I am not sure on your questions, but, I wanted to say " beautifull truck & welcome ".

[​IMG]

:cool:

5. 79muttyota

79muttyota Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 sr5
    Wow that has got to be one of the cleanest looking 84-88 toyotas I have ever seen. Try lcengineering for parts. they have a large selection of cams, heads, headers, turbos, and just about anything else you need.

6. lobody94

lobody94 Member

Truck:
    2002 4Runner
    Beautiful truck nice find.

7. PERTANO

PERTANO Newbie

thanks for all the positive comments. It sucks not knowing anything about the automobile you just picked up. I've owned a ton of old 3tc powered Corollas but this one is my first ever mini-truck. I guess in all honesty I should leave it alone, I mean hell it's been running great for this long so why mess with a good thing? But for me I love to modify stuff. I hate stock. The only bummer about the truck is the wheels. I wasn't able to get them with the purchase, but I do have some 16x8/9 staggered Starion wheels now. It's looks pretty good that way too. I can't decide which wheels I like more though. I'll post up pictures once it stops raining over here.

Thanks again for the help!! I'm thinking I'll swap the cam, turn the boost up a little and try and add a FMIC for the bling factor. Other than that I'll leave it alone. I just want it to look a little better under the hood. The outside appearence is pretty nice to me. I love red trucks though. My X-Runner was red too.

8. knucklehead

knucklehead Enthusiast

9. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    93 Std Cab chassis/4Runner 2door body
  10. east1la

east1la Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 toyota pickup dually

man, u are so lucky to find a nice looking truck. good luck w/ your project.

11. PERTANO

PERTANO Newbie

So far I'm happy with the little truck. I've been driving it all over the place. Long Beach, San Diego, back and forth to work, everywhere. I love it. It's a bit of a bumpy ride, but I can deal with it. It's actually surprisingly quick too. I like that it's an automatic, but if and when it ever goes out I will be for sure dropping a 5 speed behind it. Plus to rebuild the auto is crazy!!!! But the truck shows no signs of quiting anytime soon. Just a few U-Joints and it's all good.

Here is a picture of it with the Starion wheels. They suck right now, but later on I am going to take them off and get them fully polished again. But for 180 bucks I can't complain. The tires are fair and the wheels are true. Good enough for now and better then stock. :cool:

[​IMG]

12. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    93 Std Cab chassis/4Runner 2door body
    Man it looks pretty good with those wheels...
    I wish the set of Conquest wheels I have where in that nice of condition!!!
    It looks lowered is it?

So what mads have already been done to it?

13. PERTANO

PERTANO Newbie

the truck is lowered. it has the torsion bars all the way down on the front and a 2 inch block out back. No biggie. It's has good shocks all around it and then the wheels. Other then that it's bone stock. I'm debating on changing it any though. It's realiable good on gas so I don't want to mess with a good thing. I just have to polish these wheels. They are bugging me the way they look now. I'm not a big fan of black wheels.

14. Morris Taco

Morris Taco Newbie

Truck:
    84 Toyota Truck
    No updates on this Truck?

15. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Guy hasn't been on this site for over 5 years.....