Newbie looking for Help/Advice Lowering a 79 SR5

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by MrPhotoFinish, Jun 9, 2015.

1. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Hello all,

First off, I am new to this forum, but not new to modifying vehicles. I mainly have experience with lowing Japanese cars, and lowering trucks is a new area for me. I have searched this forum up and down and just need a bot more information before i start purchasing suspension parts.

So far I have decided to go with drop leafs vs the blocks because of the potential for danger as expressed on this forum and many other forums. How ever i do know that this is the cheapest way to lower the rear with the exception of removing a leaf spring. I wanted you guys and gals thoughts about the a brand that is selling drop leafs on ebay here is the link:

Street Edge 79 88 Toyota Pickup 2WD 3" lowering Leaf Spring Set | eBay

As for the front, I am thinking the belltech might max springs, but from the posts that i have read, I have not found out about the ride quality of these springs on our trucks. As far of my goals for the truck, IM looking for an overall 4-5 in drop in the rear, and possibly the same in the front. I know how to achieve this in the front i will or possibly may need, drop spindles, BJ Flip, and lower control arm.

All in All, I just want to know the best drop, and ride quality for a truck with 15s or 16s on it.

Currently my truck is at stock height and has 205's tires and 14 inch rims.

Any help, or suggestions positive or negative will be appreciated. Or if someone can just point me in the right direction.

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    You sound like you've done your research and have a good idea of what is needed.

If you have a 79-83 body style truck, you have torsion bar suspension in the front....No Mighty max springs for you!

I can't comment on ride quality, as i only have blocks/air shocks and torsion's loosened (rides ok, but not great).

I do have a weak leaf spring out back, so that messes with my ride quality and makes it feel weird.

If i ever get my beltech springs in and drop control arms on, i could provide more feedback :(

People will chime in im sure.

3. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    There is no "danger" from running blocks. I have put tens of thousands of miles on vehicles with blocks both over and under-mounted, including vehicles that came from the factory with blocks (every single Ford F-250 and 350 built since 1980 has had them).

Dropping five inches in the back will only leave you with around 2" of suspension uptravel before the axle hits the frame rail. Whether that will be an acceptable ride for you I can't say.

You're on the right track up front. A torsion drop is a bad idea. Mine are just slightly loosened so I have some rake with my sacked out rear leafs and it's not great.

4. cruuz

cruuz Newbie

Truck:
    It's an '80
    If you've got the cash to get drop leafs and do the 84-88 front conversion with spindles I'd say you should, That's the 'correct' way to do it. 4-5" drop out back will def leave you pretty short on suspension travel, but a notch is nbd. Using the drop leafs will allow you to run a shorter block to get your 4-5", which is a little more favorable than just using giant blocks. And don't skimp out on shocks, get the nicest ones you can afford. IMO the whole thing is a wash without nice shocks

5. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Thank all of you for your guidance. Has anyone ever ran the drop leafs that i put in my original post? Also with the drop leafs in the rears what brand shocks are you guys recommending? The toxic shocks, Gabriels, KY gas adjusts, belltech nitro? Im imagining that the shocks will need to be shorter as well. Is this correct?

Again, thank you all so much for this info, it is helpful. I am trying to gather as much info as possible before i open my pocket book.

This weekend i will be buffing the truck and post the results to contribute as well. I will focus my attention elsewhere for now until i gather the info that i need.

6. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Cruuz, will 84-88 drop spindles bold directly on the 79 truck? And what springs to you guys recommend?