New to the forums, 1976 rally build

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RTacker, Jan 3, 2018.

1. RTacker

RTacker Newbie

Hi all! I'm new to the forums, but I have these massive hopes and dreams. I have a 1976 SR5 pickup that I'm descending into a rally/baja-lite build with. The truck is in pretty excellent condition (was a hunters truck to a man that didnt hunt), but for the goals I'm pursuing, I need some beefier suspension, a rearend that can burn both tires, and some suggestions as far as breakable parts that may need replaced if I'm going to be driving it into the lake of fire and back. As far as rear ends, I know many people suggest the mk3 supra as well as some of the later 4x4s, but what do you guys think about the possibility of a lunchbox locker? And also, what kind of suspension mods would be most efficient in the way of time and money (I have plenty of both, but efficiency is efficiency)? I know there have been at least two N20 baja builds, one called The Idea Truck (think it was some of Yota's QA guys back in the day) and the other was a Scorpio team build for the riverside races out west. Do y'all have any suggestions for me, because suspension info especially seams very sparce on the internet. Thank you for the help ahead of time.

Utility 77 likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well youre definitely going to have to do a lot of fabrication and some enginuity will come in handy.

Good luck with the build and il be suscribing to your build thread if you start one

3. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    Welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like trailing arms and coilovers are in your future. With that type of expected abuse you might consider a fabricated axle housing. Enjoy!