New owner - what do I have?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by AirplaneMode, Jan 24, 2018.

1. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

20180121_132258-2016x1134.jpg

Hey guys I recently picked up a 1978 Toyota Pickup for cheap and I'm hoping to really make this thing something special, but first I gotta figure out what the previous owners have done!

The steering on the truck is terrifying. The wheel has about 90 degrees of free play each direction and the fenders bounce off the tires with every minor bump. The thing has a mind of its own, but luckily momentum keeps it moving forward.. I'll be changing out a lot of the steering components to hopefully solve that issue.

I'm mainly wondering how people typically lower the fronts of these trucks? I can clearly see the previous owner installed lowering blocks on the rear, but I can't tell with the front. I'm hoping he didn't just cut springs. I uploaded some pics to show the front springs, and some bolts that looked strange to me on the sway bars, any insight or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Peter T likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ummmm you definitely should NOT be driving it with wood under the springs.

Order ball joints and tie rods. Replace all that shit. Get yourself some springs too. Guessing the PO cut them then realized it was super low and put the wood in there to compensate

AirplaneMode likes this.
  3. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Nice truck but you have to fix that suspension for sure! Either cut the bump stop in half on the rear or buy shorter bump stops. Looks like you dont have much room back there. Find some original springs for the front. Looks like the spring is hanging off the piece of wood already!!!

AirplaneMode likes this.
  4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    And idk whats going on with the sway bar mounts but that isnt right either

AirplaneMode likes this.
  5. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Upon further inspection... That IS wood under the springs! I think your theory is right on the money... Possibly the dumbest PO modification I've ever seen.

I'm planning on keeping the truck kinda low, what's the proper way to lower these trucks? Either bag it or cut the springs?

Jetas could you be more specific when you say "replace all that shit"? I'm putting together a list of parts and want to get all the steering/handling stuff for the truck at one time. Any links for parts?

For the rears I'm probably just going to cut the bump stops, and clean up the excess threads on the U bolts. Does it have the correct number of leafs?

Also, the sway bar mounts feel loose... Anybody want to upload a similar picture of their setup so I can see what it's supposed to look like?

Thanks guys

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    By "all that shit" i mean the 4 ball joints. Inner and outer tie rods plus the adjusting sleeves. Springs as well.

Mighty Max /D50 springs seem to be a good go-to replacement for going lower up front.

The leaf pack looks good. Check the crossmember where the too mount of the shocks bolt to and see how much clearance you have between axle and xmember.

And shocks

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Wow.

Definitely looks like they cut the original coils, you can see the markings. Mighty Max springs are available and are the recommended lowering spring for our trucks. I got mine off Amazon but have yet to install because I believe once I lower it my current wheels/tires will hit the fenders as you're experiencing.

I replaced all those steering components on my 75 and it made a HUGE improvement in being able to keep it from wandering into a ditch by itself, lol. Originally I had like a whole foot or more of steering wheel play, now it's only a few inches and I feel safe enough to let my wife drive it now. I specifically sought out Sankei 555 parts since they're an OEM manufacturer and that's what I've used on my past Toyotas - their parts get reboxed as Beck Arnley and Moog etc. I think I ordered Moog everything from Autopartsexpress and all the parts were 555 brand inside like I anticipated. The 555 parts all have grease fittings, which is a nice upgrade too.

I did basically all the steering except for the steering box: inner/outer tie rods and adjuster sleeves, upper/lower ball joints, pitman arm and idler arm, the contact block on the steering shaft and a slight tightening of the screw on the steering box.

Your swaybar is definitely missing some bushings, lol. I'd just get a universal swaybar bushing kit. Probably wont feel much different, but it won't be metal on metal anymore, so should have less squeaks and less chance of ovaling out the mounting holes.

For the rear - address your bump stops. Very likely you'll still hit them seeing how little room there is for travel. If things are too soft and you keep hitting you may need to do a future frame notch and/or add some assistance to help keep height - like airbags or air shocks.

8. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Thanks for all your input guys! I'm excited to put some love into this thing, hopefully make it my daily driver.

Quick side question: It has the 3 speed automatic transmission... What can I expect for a max cruising speed? Any chance of freeway use?

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Got air ahocks in the back of mine. Lowered on 3" blocks, 1" bolt on block and pulled the middle leaf. Have about 1.5" between the frame and axle tubes BUT the diff has bottomed out on the shock crossmember a few times.

Check my build thread if you like for comparison

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    No idea, sorry. I'd guess 65mph will be at least 3000+rpms and getting loud.

Mines got a 5spd manual, 4.10 gears and like a 26" tire. I can easily cruise at 65-70 but any faster and the RPMs feel pretty high, like at least 3500 at 70mph in 5th