negative cam

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Kev55, May 23, 2012.

1. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

Ive been waiting for my new wheels before I adjust the torsion bars and lower the front but I have some concern. I realize there will be some pretty significant negative camber on the front with the stock lower arms. I would rather keep it this way because I like the style. I'm doing just maybe a 2" drop in the front enough to get rid of the wheel gap. The problem is this is my daily, and although replacing tires isnt a big deal, handling is!

would it help any if i maybe deflated the front tires some so theres more rubber on the ground?

using the same 185/70 tires

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Best thing to do is put the torsions where you want them drive the truck around a little bit because they will settle. Check how it steer and all the and go from there. I dont think deflating will help anything.

3. R-Tan

R-Tan Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 std cab
    with two inches of drop there wont be much negative camber, and you wont need it unles you have wide wheels and more than 3 inches of drop. youd need to go for abot 4-6 inches of drop depending on wheel size to get the stanced look to where you will actually need neg camber. just get an alignment and get rid of the neg camber because its hardly noticable with a two inch drop and thats just a waste of tire.

4. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

yeh that makes more sense, i figured since im already getting some inner tire wear that i NEEDED the lower control arms to really correct it. but if a simple alignment can get rid of it at 2in then thats the obvious choice.

thanks!

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    You could also install a set of 2" drop spindles...

6. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

na because I do plan on going even lower eventually and do want the camber look but its my daily so i just wanted to feel it out and do a suttle drop in the beginning.

its not so much of the clearance i worry about but the handling and stopping power, since the front probably accounts for 80% of my stopping power. I feel like with the tires shying away from the road, im just asking to finally rear-end someone..

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Well, that really isn't that big of a concern. I run as low as I can regularly and don't have any traction issues. You will burn through the inside edge of the tires pretty quickly though, but the drop spindles would allow you to drop further without quite as much camber. You will get it pretty quickly as you go lower, and while some can be adjusted out with an alignment, if you desire to be real low, you'll probably get more than even you may want...

Drop it and find out...:)

8. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

lol cant argue with that