Need some conversion info anyone?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 74baja2013, Aug 10, 2013.

1. 74baja2013

74baja2013 Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Hilux 18r, 1977 Toyota Hilux 20r
    I know spindles for discs on a 75-83' will bolt on to my 1974 toyota hiluxs arms.
    But what years can the entire steering system be swapped from or changed out with? As of from frame rails to frame rails. Any metal work or fab needed? or just only certain parts. And what other trucks have the same frame rail spacing and/or wheelbase?

OR what steering box and coupler will work on my 74 hilux?
    Can I swap to power steering? Or swap entire steering system to power steering? and can I swap steering swapped? or whole steering collum. I wanted to know everything about swapping everything on this hilux even not about suspension! I know metal fab and have friends who own shops in metal work and fab and interior and exterior.

Right now the only swap i really have is my 18rc to an 18rj imported from japan (swapped back in 80s) :headbang:
    and the 4 speed to 5 speed

Alex8175 likes this.
  2. 1970gmc4x4

1970gmc4x4 Newbie

swapped the spindles and everything from a 78 on to a 74 recently, all the steering compenents appeared the same, i know they made the frame's wider when they swapped from the 18r to the 20r motor, but everything looked the same, i used the 74 tie rod though and bought new ends because mine were worn, at the same time i swapped to the 78 vacumn booster and mastercylinder and proportioning valve, the bigger vacumn booster meant i had to unbolt the clutch master cylinder, drill new holes, like 3/4" over and move the whole bracket, was actually pretty easy and now i have way better brakes, still have the 18r engine, but swapped in a 5 speed from an 89, and dropped a weber 32/36 in it, made a big difference in power, I would be interested in a power steering setup but couldn't come up with anything off hand

3. 74baja2013

74baja2013 Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Hilux 18r, 1977 Toyota Hilux 20r
    So the 74 tie rod and tire rod ends and 78' parts everything else?
    and thank you for all the info and how to!

4. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Did you use the steering box as well?

5. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    I have the 20r in my 72 and the 5 speed. So much better

6. DoodleBugg

DoodleBugg Member

i have a power steering box pump an lines even have the steering collom if intrested all just came out of a 81 have compleet front end with spindles also its cheep 404-259-3700

7. gforcepdx

gforcepdx Newbie

Are we talking about changing the stock box for a quicker ratio? That's what I'm looking for. I bought a 77 20r pickup and the seller rebuilt the front end but the old steering box still takes a lot of effort in a parking lot. I've put a steering ball on the wheel but would love something to take some of the fight out of a simple u-turn.

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Use your man-hands, lol.
    I'd be interested in something like this too but I don't see it as being so simple otherwise we'd already see evidence of swaps. One challenge I see is that the steering for the 72-78 trucks is rear of the control arms, whereas the newer generstion trucks (until tacomas with steering rack) had steering forward of the control arms - so direct swaps are out.

At a minimum I could see the need to drill and sleeve new mounting holes in the frame if one were to change the steering box to a different design, assuming you can even locate the box in a similar spot. I know another challenge, at least on my truck, is that the exhaust header is literally right there next to the steering, like almost touching. I wonder about swapping to a steering rack too, that would be awesome.

On my 75 I replaced all BJs, complete tie rods, Idler arm and adjusted the steering box at the adjustment screw. I still have a new pitman to install as well as a new rag joint I just received. goal was to take out all play in my steering to improve it but still doesn't resolve power steering related problems like you want.

9. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    The frame rails on the '74 are going to be around 2.5 inches narrower than the '75 and newer ones, 18" or 18.5" for '72-'74 versus 20.5" for the '75-'78 I ran into issues with that when we started the Beams swap in my '73.