Need help!!

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 808yamaz, Mar 16, 2018.

1. 808yamaz

808yamaz Newbie

Aloha crew. Anyone in Vegas on here?? Just picked up a 89 22r single cab.. Truck needs some body work. Nothing major. Interior is pretty set for its age. In pretty good condition.

Just did torsion drop and 3" block. Still on steelies and pizza cutter tires.

I do have a problem tho. And cant seem to figure it out. New to dis site/forum..

Truck hates cold start driving.. But when its warm it seems to hesitate or jerk in 4th.. When cold its hesitates and jerks intermittently in all gears. (4 spd manual)

Also..

Whether its warm or not while I leave any parking stall or just off the line at a stop light/sign.. It seems to have a shortage I guess you could say with the electrical. The check engine flickers along with the radio and head and tail lights. Especially the blinkers.

At idle the blinkers will work fine and no and radio will work. But the second I start moving all the electrical flickers..

Please and mahalo in advanced for any tips and tricks.

P.s. new oil & oilf filter as of 400 miles ago.. New plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor as of 100 miles ago.

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Check/clean all your grounds and check for any crumbly wiring. Toyota has good electrical systems, so it's probably something simple.

Do you have to smog in LV?

3. 808yamaz

808yamaz Newbie

As soon as I get off of work today ill be doing that. Yes. But if vehicle is over 20 yrs you can classic it. So that's what I did till I can get get running prime. Since technically she isn't a true classic.

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    As far as the jerking goes, I'm leaning towards a fueling issue or possible vacuum leak, which could be numerous things on a 22r with all the smog crap.

How does it idle cold/hot?

5. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Issues I've had involving jerking on my 22r: EGR valve sticking/ opening too much/ etc... AAP valve leaking fuel into vacuum line... Anti-diesel solenoid losing power or ground intermittently...

You're not in CA, so I say throw a Weber on it and de-smog, lol.

6. 808yamaz

808yamaz Newbie

Lol weber is next on The list.. And funny you ask how the idle is.

So cold the idle is super high I guess maybe about 2grand. Hard to tell cause I dont have a rpm gauge. But sounds to be about 2 grand. When finally at temp it seems to idle really low. Like really low. At times if you watch the motor idle ypull see the motor jerk slightly to catch itself from almost dieing.

7. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    While it's warmed up and idling low, spray a little carb cleaner over the carb (air cleaner out)....and see if it picks up or bogs down.

Cheap way to tell if it's running lean/rich.