need help truck is acting up

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by l0wlux, Jan 16, 2009.

1. l0wlux

l0wlux Member

i have a 22r and whenever i pound it and the 36 barrel 0pens it allways seems to bog out and pop mean kine i changed the fuel filter but its the same story need help mean kine

2. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    sounds like it loading up maybe

3. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    please tell us your complete motor setup...... any mods you have done and what work you have recently done (if any) to it so we can better help you diagnose the problem. :waytogo:

4. l0wlux

l0wlux Member

i have a 22r with a weber 32/36 and exhaust thats it but i recently did the timing chain about a month ago and that night that we finished when i cranked it up is when it started acting up.........i checked recently if it tdc and it is everything is lined up also checked the compression by stuffing a rag in the number one spark plug hole then cranked it and it when shoot out...........change the fuel filter and rebuilt the carb and still same story..............how it acts up is when i drive it slowly and only using the 32 barrel it is all good runs cherry but if i pound um and the 36 opens it seems to pop and bogg and i cant accelerate at all and the carb sounds like its having hard time sucking air when it keep pressing gas. i dont know whats wrong

5. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    hmm..sounds like u cant just pound it, does it do the same thing if u push on the pedal fast, by this i mean evenly fast. try adjusting the fuel needle for the 36 side..

6. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    you need more FUEL !!

your current fuel system cant keep up .

7. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4

ya, your running really lean when the secondarys kick in. id check for blockage in the carb, try my carb tune up.

if its not that id say you need to rejet the carb or need to upgrade your fuel pump. stock ones tend to not play happy with webers

also try following the "lean best idle" setup in the tech section of this site www.redlineweber.com

8. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Do you have a timing light? If so, check your timing again. Also, if the problem started after the timing chain swap, I would suspect the valve timing if everything else seems right. Not sure if I would just start dumping more fuel before I checked all of the timing again. Sometimes either the spark advance or the valve timing can cause it to fall on its face during a hard acceleration. Also, a $40 compression gauge would be much more reliable and telling than the old "shoot the rag out of the spark plug hole" technique. It would also be able to tell you how much compression you have and for how long.

9. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    My truck was doing the same not too long ago but it turned out my choke was stuck and i was just overlooking it.

10. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    its gotta be the timing, i spent 4 days trying to time my truck and when its off, it will idle nice but when you go dump some fuel in it its over...

probably not, Im running a 500cfm 4 barrel on my stock fuel setup just fine. when I mash the pedel it POURS gas in !