Need help...bad fuel pump

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Roger, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Roger

Roger Newbie

Hi, this is my first post in a long time. I just bought a 1978 Toyota motorhome out in Kansas and it has a bad electric fuel pump. To get it home to Maryland I need to replace it, but I want to put in an inline fuel pump. Can I do this without dropping the tank? How do I wire it in? Need help right away, cause I have to get this thing out of there. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Splice it in with some fuel hose between the tank and hardline. And just run a + and ground it and done

Roger likes this.
  3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You want to buy a low pressure inline fuel pump. (Mr. Gastket 42S or equilivant).
    Remove the fuel filter.Feed the fuel hose from tank to pump inlet. Pump outlet to hose going to carburetor. Pull power of any ignition hot lead. Ground to chassis. Your pump will only run when when ignition is on.
    This is a temporary fix.
    Check your tires for age. If you have the 5 lug rear axle with fake duel wheels, these are unsafe, and can break. AAA will not tow you unless you have RV coverage. If you have AAA, upgrade to RV. There's a 5 day wait period, but good to have if your traveling a long distance.

Roger likes this.
  4. Roger

Roger Newbie

Thanks, guys. I have AAA RV. Not a dummy there! Napa pumps were all 5-8 psi. Need less or a regulator. I'll look for that pump you mentioned. So, it turns out that I can pull gas through a dead pump after all. Great!

5. Roger

Roger Newbie

This probably has foolies and not true duallys. This generation takes quite a bit of welding and fabrication to make the FF axle fit, as the frame is a tad narrower than later rigs.Tires will be replaced first with Hankooks ra-18.

6. Roger

Roger Newbie

Just checked Advanced Auto Parts. In stock and at a great price, Mr Gasket 42s. I read some customer reviews, and one guy complained it wouldn't lift gas one foot when placed on top the tank. This will be OK at the fuel filter location? 78 Hilux. Looks like a Ford filter fits on the pump.

7. Roger

Roger Newbie

Googled a Holly electric pump, and it was the right pressure and had good reviews on automotive applications. Mr. Gasket had good reviews on things like lawn tractors. Not sure which I'll get. The key seems to mount it in a location where it can push the gas instead of pull it. Just don't want to cut the steel line to mount it down below. Up at the filter location would be perfect. None of the reviews addresses replacing the pump in a tank with this pump. They all were about replacing a mechanical fuel pump, like a Ford F100. So, I'm kinda still uncertain if it will work OK. When I get out to Kansas I'll have to give it a try as it is easiest and cheapest. Has anyone actually done this or know directly of someone who has bypassed the electric pump successfully in this fashion? Nervous

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    I have a 1978 Toyota mini-motor home. (see profile pict).
    External pump will have to pull fuel through tank screen and existing pump. You could go with a higher gpm pump, but risk flooding out your carburetor. Remember, your not "lifting" the fuel very high. Once is gets primed, it should work fine.
    The fuel filter is the most field expedient way to attach an inline. You can try to get one close to the tank but that will involve cutting metal fuel lines. Then you still need to find power for the pump.
    I would not be comfortable driving such a long distance on the bad axle.
    If you haven't purchased it yet the axle upgrade can run 2-4K. Would definitely use for a bargaining chip.
    If you search toyotamotorhomes.com they have a good tech section on axles.
    And as a side note, I installed a GM 14 bolt, 10.5" ring gear ff axle onto my mh.
    Pps. The Mr gasket comes with an inline filter.

9. Roger

Roger Newbie

I'll consider the priming idea. Yes, if the axle breaks that's trouble. You can see this RV by going here and entering Toyota RV. $900. www.claz.org

10. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Be sure to check for water damage to the coach . Area around front window and loft bed could be rotted.

11. Roger

Roger Newbie

Yes, an axle conversion would be in the cards. How difficult was that GM conversion? I heard that it is the way to go, even over the Toyota FF.

12. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    GM will only work if you want to goto singles in the rear. Deciding factor will be the weight of your rig.
    Either way, your still looking at 2-4 K.