my oil light and brake lights on when truck is off??

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by animoToY808, Oct 14, 2013.

1. animoToY808

animoToY808 Newbie

Truck:
    88 $ingle cab 22r
    Not sure why it stays on when I turn off my truck and my reverse lights too if I have it in reverse and truck is off. I have to take the negative off battery. Some help please??

2. bigjas

bigjas Newbie

Truck:
    87 SWB Regular Cab 22R
    Did you ever figure this out? Everything that should work with the key in the run position works with the key off and removed. I unhooked all of the wires to the steering column, and the problem persisted. I bought an 87 last week from a friend, and two days ago the same thing happened to me. The first day I had it I took it to a car wash to clean up the engine, and everything was fine. The problem began a couple of days later after I drove it during a heavy, wet spring snow storm. I had not done anything to the electrical system, so I suspect something has shorted out. The truck has been driven day for the last two years with no problems. The battery ground wire is intact. Could this be a faulty diode in the alternator? Would that allow the current to flow back through the system? If so, can anyone tell me how to perform a diagnostic test? I have a digital multimeter, but I typically only use it on AC circuits. Thanks, and sorry for so many questions in my first post. The truck is a base model regular cab 4x4 with a stock 22R and about 203000 miles on the odometer.

Jim