My introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by aduarte, Sep 12, 2017.

1. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    1990 Toyota Base Model 2 wheel drive
    Greetings everyone,
    My name is Arnold and just recently moved to Tucson. A couple of months ago, I purchased a 1990 Toyota pickup base model 2 wheel drive with a 22R motor hooked to a 4 speed transmission. The truck currently has 74000 original miles on it. I am the third owner of this truck. My plan is to drop in a small Ford V8 motor with a 5 speed transmission along with a 8.8 rear. I want to build a quick, reliable and fun truck that I can drive to Phoenix or anywhere, at any time with confidence. I have contacted several hot rod shops to seek their assistance with the build plans. Once completed, I plan to use this truck as my daily driver. I began searching websites relating to Toyota pickups when I found this website. After reading several postings by members, I found that this would be a perfect place to meet other Toyota truck owners to exchange ideas and hands on experiences that we could all benefit from. I do my own work on my other vehicles and I have the ability to weld and fabricate if needed. The problem is that my neighborhood where I am currently renting a home in does not allow for any automotive work to be performed outside the garage area.

Thanks again for allowing me this time to join your website. I look forward to exchanging information other truck owners and maybe one day, meet in person and see our personal builds.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Welcome to TM and hopefully this build ends up happening

3. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Thank you, jetas. I hope so too. As much as I would love to do this truck in my own garage, my HOA does not share the same passion as I do for the automotive hot rod culture, if you know I mean. With that said, I have to seek the assistance of shops to store my truck and perform the work for me. Thanks again for your reply.

jetas likes this.
  4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome aboard.:cool:

5. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Thank you. I look forward to learning from other Toyota truck owners on their experiences in working on their trucks. I am interested on improving the handling and ride on my truck since I plan to use my truck as a daily driver.

6. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Good tires,( Cooper , the best wearing tires I have ever run), I run these on two of our cars ,ran them on my truck before I built into a show truck ( high speed performance on it now!
    Than good shocks & good tight fitting sway bars.

And get it low to the ground!!

7. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Thank you for the tips. I will put that in my plans. I was looking into beefier torsion bars, shocks and aftermarket control arms. The sway bars you mentioned will be on my to do list. When I bought this truck, it is bone stock and I am only moving up from there. Once I pull the motor and trans out, I will put it up for sale or trade since I will not be needing them. Thanks again for your suggestions.

8. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I run CanDo ( No longer in business) upper & lower tubular a-arms as to do away with the front strut rods as I'm bagged & in order to get the front all the way ( I'm not z'd) down!!
    There are no stock suspension parts on my truck!

9. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    It sounds like you have a nice set up for your front suspension. I am at a hot rod shop talking with the owner about shoehorning a warmed small block Ford into my truck. Although I might get by with the stock rear, I plan to change it out for a 8.8 or 9 inch to be safe. This will be strictly a street truck and my main driver to work.

10. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Do you know of any reputable company or fabricators that make a-arms for these trucks? I would like to do away with the torsion bars too for that cleaner look. Thanks.

11. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Ypu will have to research (use Goggle) as to who as these nowdays, & check forms as to who has used what brands & any problems.

12. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Thank you for the advise. I contacted Art Morrison about their universal IFS setup. Their IFS needs a minimum of 27 inch outside frame width for their IFS to be installed. In addition, I would need to ensure that I have room to weld the top part of the IFS to the frame for the shocks to bolt to. This is a possible option.

13. jorge cruz

jorge cruz Member

Truck:
    1985 toyota sr5
    welcome!

14. aduarte

aduarte Member

Truck:
    Hi Jorge,
    Thank you for the greeting. I look forward to working on my truck project and meeting other truck owners.

jorge cruz likes this.