My '78 "Pickup"

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Dan McBoost, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    She made it to a car night:

[​IMG]

RN23CB likes this.
  2. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Well took it out for a spin the other day, and it randomly stalled a few times.

I need to replace/check the fuel filter immediately before the electric pump this weekend.

Last night I did a few preventive things: New plugs, cap, rotor and both belts. Upon changing the plugs I did find the rear most plug wire was not pressed onto the plug. It was just sitting on it.

Time to get lower soon.

3. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    Looking great! Keep the photos coming.

4. thetoxicavenger

thetoxicavenger Newbie

Truck:
    79 cc dually
    i really dig that color man, and im glad youre gonna keep it how it is. this things coming along, looking forward to see what you continue to do with it.

5. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Bought another house, so been over there working on it and not on the truck. Well at least she's safe inside the garage.

I thought I read, but could not find it again, do volvo 240 front or rear springs fit in the front of the RN20/25? TIA!

6. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Today was the first time I worked in the garage on stuff since we bought and have been working on the new house.

Finally replaced the fuel filter immediately before the new fuel pump. Hope she is fixed. I do plan on using it to help move.

7. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Brought it over to the new house (10 miles away). Stalled 7 times.

Each time driving it just stalled out, very quickly. Coasting to an OK spot to look around. First time, I looked under the car at the clear filter before the pump. Looked clear, nothing stopping fuel. Looked under the hood and the clear one before the carb was also clear, but it was not full. Was only about half as full of gas. Hmm, I would think the rear pump would be pressuring the front enough so this filter would be FULL and the mechanical pump would have everything it needed to run.

It seems like it runs out of gas, but only for 3-5 minutes, then it starts up fine and go for another miles. Repeat. Some of the times I probably DID leave the ignition on (pump running), but I know I did shut it off, yet it would still start up and go again.

Any ideas guys? I have never worked on carbed vehicles (every other car I own and have owned are EFIed). Point me in the right direction and I will not be afraid, lol. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  8. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Well, she is in the barn at the new house. Its winter, so I did not work on it at all. Anyone have any ideas?

I think I am just going to purchase a new carb and see how it goes.

9. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    * picked up an OEM carb rebuild kit.

Also, picked up the lowering blocks and front mighty max springs.

10. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Nice lil clean truck!

I picked up a 78 beginning of last week as well... I ordered the mighty max and 3 inch rear blocks as well.. so far i only had received the rear block,
    I went on and installed the kit.. nice basic kit but the rear is definitely not low enough..
    I have been reading a lot about the rear leaf spring and how some guys remove the middle and flip the overload leaf.. i tried it on and it just didnt look right

Im curious to see your setup after the install..

11. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    I will be getting the truck in position in the garage this weekend. Then up on jack stands. Once its off the ground, I have a few things planned for the remainder of this year: Take the carb off so it can be rebuilt (bought the kit), install the springs and blocks (swapping the rears around as needed to be level) and look into installing the 4 speed trans I picked up on Sunday.

Last fall I stripped a manual truck of all parts needed for the manual swap except for the trans and drive shaft (the truck was too rotted and sitting on the ground). So once stuff is in place, I can get an aluminum drive shaft made for it locally.

I do hope to have some updated pics soon. Sorry this house stuff has kept me way too busy. I need to get this done quick as I have another toyota that needs to be up on jack stands and done before the end of summer.

I did get over to my other house and grabbed our stock evo wheels. I will be doing my best to wear these down.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    RN23CB likes this.
  12. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

After flipping my left pack around, I realized it was a pretty bad idea. Rode like hell and was WAY to low, axle kept hitting the frame with bump stop removed..

I strongly suggest just removing the center leaf, leaving you with the main long leaf and the fat bottom overload. Nice set of shock and you'll be in business.
    Front with mighty max will be straight fwd and easy.

Which carb are you rebuilding? If youre planning on messing with the stock one.. well you're not gonna get anything out of it .. get yourself a weber and kiss the headache goodbye.

13. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Thanks. What shocks did you go with? I have money set aside for brakes and such. I just did not want to buy anything else until I need to.

My buddy (a LONG time toyota R block guy) has built them before and trusts he can get it running great. I am not looking for more power out of it, just make it semi-reliable. I do not want to invest in this engine any further as it will be replaced with something else eventually.

14. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

I've rebuit my stock one and others.. they just suck. A lot of components and really the tuning ability is pretty poor. A weber would make your life a little easier... Diaphragms are harder to find as well.
    I also have a hard time believing anyone is content with the wooping 80hp the 20r produces ahhaha. But does it do the job, yep it works.

I used monroe max air shocks from summit for the rear. They ride nice and give me the ability to use the truck if I ever have to load up. Also just got a rear sway bar that will get installed for a bit less body roll.

15. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    Have you done the 7m swap yet?

I'm towards the end of my swap.
    Definition gonna be a fun little truck.

16. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    Looking rad!

17. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Well springs and blocks are in, but with the evo wheels, the front is ~2" lower than I want for now.

I plan on making a set of 1 7/8" aluminum spacers for the upper spring perch.

Once I air bag it, I do want to be able to slam it, but for normal driving, I do not want to destroy perfectly good new mexican front fenders.

18. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Material is ordered for the spring spacers as well as new rotors, pads and front calipers.

The new turning signals with city lights are in, and just waiting on the new taillights.

Spacers should be done being machined no later than thursday, the same day the rotors and pads will show. Calipers will be her Friday. By Sunday I should be done with this list. Then I will finally pull off the carb.

I need to get this done as I have another automotive project that is itching to get started.

Currently the front and back with the mighty max front springs and 3 inch blocks (NO spring swapping):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  19. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

looking good

20. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Well lets see if my plan works.

[​IMG]