My 1uzfe build

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Mr.Mini_4.0, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Hello guys, I'm new to the mini truck game. Over the past years I've owned a 93 LEXUS gs300 since 2009. Build head, stock bottom end pushing 520 hp at the wheels "on my stock Auto 4 speed trans, which recently started slipping so I can see a R154 conversion soon.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, I've wanted to do a build on an older car for a while, and last October a buddy of mine sent me a CL link to a 94 Toyota pickup. The truck was listed for 600 dollars. After contacting the seller, I found out he lived minutes away from me. I drove there and he showed me the truck which had a blown 22re engine, and had been sitting for three years. I talked him down to 480 bucks after walking around the truck and we had a deal. An hour later I took it home.
    [UR[​IMG]L=[/URL]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And after doing a bunch of research of what people are doing with their Minis, I decided to do a 1uzfe V8 swap. And over the last months I've been working on gathering parts, and working on the truck. I finally decided to sign up for this forum today and here I am starting my first mini truck build on here. Follow my build for upcoming updates.
    Specs:
    1994 Toyota Pickup
    22re (blown) automatic, steering column shift
    2wd. 74,000 original miles
    Body is in a good shape, but he bed can use a little bit of work however.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Nice come up for 480!

Welcome to TM

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  3. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Thanks. Where is 480 held at? I'm all the way in Minnesota:)

4. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

So I bought a complete 1uzfe motor from Ali, a club lexus vender for 600.00 shipped. Unfortunately I didn't get the cats with the engine, but everything else was intact including the Auto transmission bellhousing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started taking the 22re out of the truck. In a few hours that was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also took the bed off because I plan on cleaning the frame and treating it with some rust treatment. After I figure out my exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I decided to test fit the UZ engine to see where things are at. When I do swaps, I like to position things, do measurements and then all of the necessary adjustments before building the engine. The motor seated okay. The only issue was the oil pan and oil filter sat flush with the front and rear cross member after modifying the mounting brackets/ ears edges on the rear member (sorry I don't pictures for this at the moment, I can post it later if it will help somebody). Ran into an issue with the ac compressor. My initial plan was to run it, but it's sit too close to the frame and steering gear. At this point I deleted the ac compressor but will figure out how to make it fit somehow in the future.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Bronson, yotarip and Mikerocosms like this.
  5. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    I like this. :waytogo:

Glad you got the guy to go down to $480 especially since it didn't run. I worked a similar deal for my 96 Taco, difference is it ran but had no bed. Now it has a bed.

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  6. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Thanks man, it actually ran but the engine knock was as loud as an ar15 pop lol

7. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

After confirming my engine mounts, I took the engine apart to start the rebuild. The intake manifolds were sent out to get powdercoated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

The bottom end
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This build could have been completed by now. But I didn't just want a 1uzfe mini truck. I wanted it to be clean. The motor ran fine, and could have been installed as I got it but I wanted to redo everything. It's taking time with this approach, but in the long run it is going to be worth it. All of the gaskets and seals, as well as old corroded/ rusty parts will be replace. The truck will be repainted, wheels and brakes will be upgraded. And no, you don't need a lot of money to do this. Parts for these trucks are fairly cheap. And if you are like me, that do your own builds, and like working on your cars yourself; all you will need is the time, some money and the dedication to do it all yourself. The main things to cost a lot will be the adaptor plate and clutch options. Once you are past that everything else will be cheap. I've learned a lot working on my cars myself and so can you. Not everything I do I knew how to prior. In other words, I learned how to do new things went I had to do it on my cars.

Anyways, I did some prepping on the block as I waited for the heads and intake manifolds.
    I got it cleaned and painted.
    First the primer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then the paint:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. madstriker

madstriker Member

Truck:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  9. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Thank man:), me neither!

10. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

I had an opportunity to snap some pictures of the parts at the powdercoating shop. This are coming along fairly fast and looking good as well:)
    Brackets, hangers, fuel rails and cam pulleys:

Valve covers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Upper intake manifold:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lower intake manifold/ plenum:
    [​IMG]
    Other brackets and stuff:

[​IMG]
    And the powdercoating process did cost me. Could have had a lower budget if I had painted everything. But again, it's all about the best options in what you want to do.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  11. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Good work! Glad to see another 1uz swapped mini

Mark Wicker and Mr.Mini_4.0 like this.
  12. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

While killing time, I decided to work on some other things. Mainly the wiring harness. I got it cleaned, and started doing some mod for the LEXUS harness to mate the Toyota body harnesses. This took me a little over a day on and off. I installed a clutch switch, sc400 fuel pump ecu, and a ls400 cruise control ecu to the harness. I also swapped out the Lexus engine harness grommet mount (for the firewall) with the 22re harness grommet since the 22re mounts to the forewall without screws and the Lexus harness mounts with two screws.
    Sc400 harness mod:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The finished product
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also redid the look of the spark plug covers, as well as the engine cover.
    [​IMG]
    Completed:
    [​IMG]
    BTW, everybody got some attention. Down to the nuts and bolts:)
    [​IMG]
    Primer added:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They all got painted black. Unfortunately those pictures are on another phone.
    I went ahead and give the throttle body some attention as well. Took it all apart, got it cleaned and painted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Primer added.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see guys, the direction you take at a built determines how long it will take you to complete, and how much work will need to be out in:). I have too much extra time in between waiting for the heads to get back from the machine shop, and when I will get the intake manifolds and engine brackets back from the powder coating shop, so I have to stay busy. Things will move a bit faster when I get the heads back.

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    All these little things pay off, shit will work and look good.

14. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

BTW, your truck inspired me:). I've watched all the videos you have on YouTube on that thing and I followed you build back when I wasn't on this forum. I just couldn't post but its all there.

15. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Got the heads from the machine shop and started putting the engine back together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Added in the intake manifolds. The manifolds turned out pretty well actually. I like the look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next up will be figuring out my exhaust. Another long wait it feels like, since I'm still waiting on my adaptor plate to mate the motor to the w58. I also need to go pick up the 4Runner flywheel form the machine shop today. Things are coming together slowly, but surely. My goal to is have this thing running my next weekend given I get all the little parts together between now and then. I did some other mods over the past few weeks like going to the junk yard and pulling a 4Runner steering wheel with tilt, and cruise control since the truck didn't come with that and I wanted to add it. [​IMG]
    Old steering:
    [​IMG]
    I also got a 96 tocoma clutch and brake pedals [​IMG]
    Cleaned the engine bay and had it primed. My plan is the paint the engine bay, install the engine and get it running after I figure out the exhaust. Then once the car is running and can move I'll install the bed and the hood and start working on the rest of the body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YOguyDA and Mikerocosms like this.
  16. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Coming together nicely!

Make sure to post some YouTube videos once its running and driving :)

SOME of us need some motivation...wink wink.

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  17. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

I hear yo
    I hear you bro lol!

18. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Put in some major work today. I decided to remove the cab to do my exhaust. It worked out pretty good. I'll also be cleaning and spraying the frame with some rust treatment so going this route was well worth it. I did some cutting, test fitting, and welding. First time welding too:). Btw, I'm not sure how thick the adaptor plates usually are but it seems like I'm going to have to modify the transmission mount because the w58 trans is shorter then the stock auto or something, not 100% sure yet. But when I get my adaptor plate Monday I'll move forward with the fabbing of things.
    *Flywheel mounted, fits like a charm.
    *Clutch is bolted on
    *Exhaust 95% completed
    *Engine is fully assembled
    *Adaptor Plate (Monday delivery)
    The goal is to fire this thing up in two weeks. Watch me!
    Front view
    [​IMG]
    Right Side View:
    [​IMG]
    Left side view:
    [​IMG]
    Clutch and Exhaust manifold mod view:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Peep that weld
    [​IMG]
    Starting goals:3/25-26/16. I got my fingers crossed.

Mikerocosms and YOguyDA like this.
  19. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

In other news, I got the my adaptor plate yesterday. Haven't been feeling well so I didn't do much on the truck. But hopefully I can get hands on with this thing this weekend. I really want to drive my truck already, lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Bmnrad

Bmnrad Newbie

Truck:
    94 standard cab 2wd
    Definitely a clean looking build. Makes me want to look into a v8 swap. Nice to see a Minnesota build!

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.