muffler ideas

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by craigdbl, Aug 24, 2011.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux

i personally prefer the loud nasty sound of flowmasters, especially on a domestic v-8. my 66 mustang would set off alarms idling through the school parking lot lol

and i mentioned early the magnaflow sounds crappy on my 04 v6 mustang, but i think the main problem there is at high revs it's too much air moving through a single muffler. i've heard them setup with dual magnaflows and they sound better, but still sound like a v6 lol

2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Flowmasters do a good job making a v6 sound completely different lol

Magnaflows on a 22re provides a nice deep sound yet doesn't "beg" for more, only until you get on it.

So if I were to list exhausts...
    Magnaflows-chill and deep until you open it up. (quieter and deeper when you get around, good for our torque range. Sounds great when you open her up)
    Flowmasters - are like a step or two up in attention and sound. All flowmaster vehicles always sound louder, from idle, getting around, and WOT. if you want the attention, get it. In our torque range where you drive it around(daily), it will be noticeably louder than the magnaflows. This is because of the chambers making it echo and stuff.
    Cherry Bombs - Ultimate attention getter lol. I heard durability (life) is short. Rusts out fast?
    Straight pipes - 2.25" straight pipes would sound cool with a cat on.

That's all of the possible exhaust settle I can imagine so far. The first being the most daily drivenable. These all provide a mean 22RE sound of choice.

#1 Don't gut your catalytic converter. Torque loss for small hp is unnecessary.
    #1.1 It will make exhaust really raspy in high RPM's.
    #1.2 A resonator should bring down droning and raspiness.

3. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    i bought my roomates barely used magnaflow round muffler, i was thinking of going 2.25 pipe and a resonator before it. this will provide a mean sound but not super loud right? i was thinking of replacing the section from where the singe pipe start back and have it routed like stock

my truck didnt come with a cat, had some hack job sections of 2.5 inch pipe to a flowmaster

4. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

I'm going to get mine installed today.I have an 84 FI auto w/cat. and k & N filter. I'll post some sound bites asap. I'm going w/ magnaflow 11225 2 1/4 in and out.
    Here's the old and new sound bites. I'm alittle disappointed in the volume. I expected it to be alot louder, not over powering but,louder.[/URL][​IMG][​IMG]http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/craigdbl/?action=view&current=magnaflow.mp4

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011
  5. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

6. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    Header will make it louder

7. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

yep! that's my next mod unless I get side tracked with something else.

8. Dux_Trucks

Dux_Trucks Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 hi-lux std cab 2wd 5spd short bed
    yeah damn that almost sounds like the stock one...

But its clean!

9. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

I know, that's what I think. the pipe out of the back of the cat is 1 3/4 sized up to 2 1/4 I wonder if that could cause the quietness or if the muffler could be hooked up a different way. I figured the muffler guy would know, he has a dropped toy.

10. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    yes, the stock pipe after the cat is that size, before that i think is 2 inch. get the pipe from the cat to the rest of the 2 1/4 piping matched with the rest of the system

11. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Yeah, the toughest thing is that you're in cali and have to have the cat and stay legal.

I see you have a tailpipe too... Hmm, mine is catless and ends in the bed.

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Better off keepin the cat. Sounds cleaner. Quieter, but cleaner

13. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest