mpg build

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by da9guy, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I have no idea on changing the gears, but if you continue with the 20r /22r hybrid setup and all the other planned upgrades that help with engine efficiency and power, you should still be okay with the W55 even down to the 3.07 gearing. There's at least one member on this board rocking the W58 with the 3.07, which is an even harder gearing, and he's able to get going (his tires might be shorter, but not by a huge amount). It may limit ability to hill-start if you're towing a boat, but it shouldn't eliminate drivability.

Without the power mods, heck without at least making sure the engine is rebuilt so as to be in top efficiency, I'd probably step down to gearing in the 3.20-3.40 range, but this is purely my opinion.

There may also be some good mods you can find on ecomodder.com and similar sites for getting more economy out of the truck.

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    There's some good info building up here. For a gear swap you could do the whole rear end or just the center "pumpkin" of it. Either way, 2-3 hours work and it'll be done. Good time to change the fluid, adjust the brakes and lower it. :D

3. da9guy

da9guy Member

Truck:
    1978 short bed hilux
    just changed the fluid a couple months ago to mobile 1 75/90w brakes have been adjusted. lowering however.......... thats on the very soon to do list. the rear... easy as pie the front on the other hand? im not a big fan of cutting springs but havent been able to source replacements anybody got a source or is it a custom made thing?

standardbyker88 in my past year or so of reading as a member of this thread it seems you might possibly be resident expert on lowering;) i dont wanna slam it down too extremely low but reducing the overall ground clearance of any vehicle ''GENERALLY'' leads to an improvement (however slightly) in fuel efficiency which is after-all, the main purpose of this thread

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. da9guy

da9guy Member

Truck:
    1978 short bed hilux
    great info. thanks scrub88 i will most definitely look into building the e fan conversion myself for half the price of a complete ''kit''

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Thanks buddy. Mighty Max springs are 2" shorter than stock, so any lowering spring for them gets a 2" boost over advertised. I have 5" drop mighty maxs and that brought me up an inch from
    3-1/8 cut off stock coils. That was after they settled for 2+ years tho.

6. da9guy

da9guy Member

Truck:
    1978 short bed hilux
    this is off the topic guys but can anybody help me upload some photos. i tried again to start a thread in the "introduce yourself " forum and whenever i try to upload a pic it says invalid file. i have a macbook if that matters

7. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Host the files first, and insert them using the Insert Image button (looks like a postcard), instead of attaching them. I think attachments got turned off a while ago.

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    attachments work from my phone atleast but i use photobucket from the computer. they dont have to be clicked and just show up. non members viewing can also see linked pics but not uploaded, so thats a small concern i like to use PB for :D

anyways, a stock mighty max spring will be a little worn out and probably get closer to 3" drop in your truck. add a small drop block out back and youre lowered. id combine efforts on either end of the truck to regear, replace worn out parts, and paint everything. i like rustolium satin black in a can, use a brush and small roller. holds up wonderful, and looks great. like $35 a gallon. oil based so you dont have to get stuff totally spotless clean either.