Moving in STEREO

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by disturbio, Mar 10, 2010.

1. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    My truck has the original stereo and speakers. Does anyone else have one this old that they got speakers for.
    I want some already enclosed like 6x9's or something. I dont know what exactly to search for the already boxed speakers like that.
    Marine speakers are like that but they are expensive. They use to be more popular, I used them in a 52 chevy I had and a 37 plymouth but none of my local shops carry any.

Any pics or suggestions appreciated .

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    so basically, you want to run the original radio with some good speakers? i would replace the dash speaker with a nice aftermarket one. should sound fine for the quality the radio sends out. or get some "6x9 truck boxes" at a stereo shop and some decent full range speakers. ive done that before.

you could also mount the speakers in the rear b pillars by the seat belt. this body style should be able to fit a 6x9 or a similar sized speaker. i havent measured in a while.

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ive got a buddy that just runs some 6x9's in "truck boxes" behind the seat and points them up. It is a crappy sound stage, but it gets the job done.

4. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    I have never worked on a toyota pickup that old, but on most old cars I try to leave the stock radio for looks and put in a aftermarket unit with a remote in the glove box... or do one of these.
    http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

5. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    ditch the factory radio, it will improve your sound greatly..you can get decent aftermarket radios for around $60

6. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    if you ditch it, and it works...i may be interested. im not sure if i wanna stick a stock deal in the dash hole and wire it to the dash speaker. probably put gauges there, but i dunno yet

7. Angel

Angel Member

Truck:
    83 pick up
    I kept the factory radio in my 83. It works fine and i replace the dash spekers. I also have a radio in the glove boxs for better sound with upgraded speakers under the dash. Its funny when people look at the radio and hear the sounds that comes out. Go with the classic look

8. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    I will get a head unit

and stash it somewhere maybe in glove box, I just couldnt find very many premade "boxed" speakers.