moved from the wrong thread. - drums to discs. help!!

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by widdletruck, Oct 23, 2014.

1. widdletruck

widdletruck Newbie

HI all,

Im new and need some advise/help. Ive got a RN41, with drums all round. Im going to be upgrading the engine at some point in the near future and want to upgrade the brakes before i do that.

I havent found a lot of information around being able to do this and what else will fit.

In NZ there is an abundance of later model Hilux's but i think becuase of the ball joints the wont fit(thats what i have read. Havent looked yet).

what upgrades have people done? and what threads can help - ive looked but ive confused myself something chronic.

cheers

Ill post pics as I go through the build/restortation of the beast from the east.

2. Racersk

Racersk Member

Only in New Zealand would they let 4 wheel drums in these trucks...:looney::brickknock:

So drums up front use a residual valve that holds a little hydro pressure to the shoes at all times so your current brake line manifold will not work on discs. This is my best advice if your gonna keep it...

Upgrade the suspension to RN55 or RN65 front upper and lower arms, ball joints, and spindles. This will put discs on the front, add 19mm per side and open up future upgrades to these spindles (or add them when you do the swap like I did) Bell tech offers 2" lowering and there are some 3" lift spindles out there too. You can reuse your tosion springs (bars) with the newer lower arms.

If you swap the same years rear end, you gain a little width and you gain bigger drums along with the possible 8" diff-beware you may need to modify your drivelines flangeto do this, but very simple to do.

Swap the master cylinder and booster from the donating truck too, along with its brake line manifold, it will have the single residual valve for just the rear brakes and will compliment your new 20th century braking system!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

3. widdletruck

widdletruck Newbie

Thanks. So you have upgraded an rn41?

I've finally logged back in. So so slack.

4. Dan smith

Dan smith Newbie

Truck:
    79 single cab rn30 shorty
    Old thread but new to the forum. Love to know how u went with ur upgrade to ur truck.