making the bed straight. again...

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by glitchinq, Nov 28, 2015.

1. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

so im looking to try and find another bed for my truck in the same original orange. but till then i kind of want and need a tailgate but my bed was bend beyond **** to the point where where the tailgate is mounted the bed is bent in the shape of a U
    does anybody have any idea how i should try straightening this? i will post a pic tomorrow

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I think we might need pics. My gut says try and bend it or cut it out and re-weld.

3. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

this may be a bit dark but i know you can see what im talking about

Attached Files:

4. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

anybody haha?

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Someone must have put a lot of weight in the bed?
    I would attempt to bend that before going to a pro. It will likely be difficult since I assume the metal has some bends there to reinforce the area. likely I would try a bottle jack from below and then maybe some big clamps with a simple joist set across the bed rails. Always use something to spread the force of the jack or clamp, like a 2x4 or something.

6. redman

redman Enthusiast

under the bed there is small channels (U shaped pieces of metal) that run from side to side, maybe they're rusted through and now give no support allowing the the to sag in the middle ??

7. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

i havent checked for the rusted out pieces of metal liked you said redman but what i am going to try and is get some jacks with 2x4s on them and try and jack it up and see if i can get the bed to straighten out like that

8. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I dunno... That looks like years and years of overloading abuse like maybe a carpet layer driving around with those huge rolls of carpet hanging off the end. I think it will take some kind of hydraulic table where you can strap down the sides and force the middle up with something equivalent to those "jaws of life" hydraulics that rescue workers use.

Go ahead and try your idea because it is relatively free, but I think you're going to end up having to take it to a frame straightening shop...

9. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

the frame is fine. i am probably just going to end up replacing the bed.

10. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Sorry, I didn't mean the frame had to be straightened. I was just thinking that a frame straightening shop would have the tools and talent to straighten out the bed on one their racks.

11. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

you WILL hafta bend it beyond straight (a lill) to get it back to 'normal' due to the stress it's gone thru. Are there no patch panels avail after mrkt to mig in? Here in NE USA anything over 10 y/o goes straight to the crusher so Not Available. We Gotta fix em.
    I would take the bed off. Remove the cross channels, get it back straight, straighten out the cross channels, etc. U might B able to put a straight edge acc. 2 C how much outta wack it is 1st to C if this procedure is needed.
    U don't list 'prt of country' in sig. R beds available in ur prt of the country? Abt how much?