lowering my 81

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by MitchG, Sep 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MitchG

MitchG Newbie

ok, I don"t have a ton of experience at this.. but I have an 81 pickup that my son and I are working on as sort of a rat rodish project.
    I was hoping to lower it all around around 3" and I have heard that blocks in the back and adjusting the torsion bars in the front would work.
    question 1: what size shocks would I need to pick up for the front to help the ride?
    question 2: would I need to remove the bump stop in the rear?

I am open to any and all suggestions..

Cheers,

Mitch

2. Dompadjudu

Dompadjudu Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Sr5
    Lowered mines via torsion bars and 3" blocks , ubolts from auto zone put a wrench on the top nut of the torsion and a socket on the bottom with a breaker bar and do an even about of turns on each side

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    To measure for shocks, jack truck up, unbolt the shock on one side, lower the suspension ( truck on jack stands); suspension should,be "free hanging". Measure from the lower mounting holes to the upper. That is your max height range. Lower the truck to the ground (shock still removed) measure the same spot, that will be the compressed amount. Take measurements to say website like summitracing and look up differnent shocks and look at the measurements. You want to be close to them. Fyi, compression is need to be more, so when the suspension compresses you wont bottum the shock out. I dont think you will max out the shock unless you take it offroad. Also, you may need to put shorter bump stops in so the supension can get alittle more travel.

Hope this helps!