Loose automatic transmission steering column shifter

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by [email protected], Oct 4, 2015.

1. JimReimer1614@gmail.com

[email protected] Newbie

Hello,

I have a 2wd 1987 Toyota pickup with a A43D transmission (gear selector on the steering column). The shifter lever has play so when putting the truck from park to reverse, neutral, drive, 2, or low, the red/orange position indicator does not line up with the letter that goes with the shifter position. I have taken off the steering column cover and found the end of the shaft that the lever moves from one gear to another, with a e clip, a washer, and what is left of a plastic bushing that would have gone around the shaft in the shaft support. I have taken off the e clip and put on a homemade brass bushing into the support and around the shaft. It only helped with improving the difference between park and reverse (the most important park of the indicator). Is there another bushing behind the support and in front of the lever? I have not found any useful diagrams or how- tos on this repair. Do you know of any OEM parts for this repair? Good homemade parts to take out the play? Any input on effecting this repair would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    I still run that trans. You might check the rest of the linkage in front of the firewall. I never noticed anything like that, but my old cluster used bulbs rather than a pointer for gear placement. What year is your truck?

3. JimReimer1614@gmail.com

[email protected] Newbie

thanks for the input. I will look over the linkage for the steering column support to the firewall.

4. Trevdawg

Trevdawg Newbie

i have a 1985 truck, auto as well, the orange marker doesn't move at all . . .
    truck always looks like it is in park.