lights, yikes

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by bootleg, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bootleg

bootleg Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4-speed
    finally got the 75 up and running ("cracktruck") in the process we removed a home built camper canopy, lights, heater system from mid 70's chevy pu, all wired in and the whole tweeked up/out nine yards, Now that most of the rats nest has been removed the dng dang tail lights don't work right,. the amber turn signals are always on, and don't blink when prompted, also when the lights are off and you step on the brakes everything in the rear lights up, the front of the pu is fine headlights etc. the tail feathers are all cracktrucked,

Any Ideas, or a point in the right direction, I've chased the wires in the back and all appears to be correct,.

2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    not sure, but i think this sounds like a grounding prob..asked a budy of mine that does nothing but work on automotive electrical, he says that it sounds like its lookin for a ground in all the taillights..

hope this helps!

3. bootleg

bootleg Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4-speed
    thanks, the bed of this truck is r-r-r-rrrusted so that could be I'll clean contact points see if that helps,

any other ideas

4. bootleg

bootleg Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4-speed
    how are the taillights grounded, is it though the housing

5. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    dont remember will look ( if i remember too) when i lift the truck in the air next few days..

6. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Is there a trailer wiring harness?? The ends of those can get all green with corrosion and cause all kinds of issues.

7. bootleg

bootleg Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4-speed
    I cleaned the contact points, took the housing apart cleaned the bulbs and fixtures, still not working proper,. it had trailer lights "crackd in" and i removed the cluster f***

8. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    there is a dedicated ground wire that goes back through the harness into the cab.

i would unplug the harness at the cab/bed junction then test the wires with a test light for the proper response.

sounds more like crossed wires to me.

also yota blinker relays are funny, if you dont have the same bulb in both front and back they wont blink. if one is dead they wont blink. the bulbs act like a resistor in the old systems.