LED lights,

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by CrazyCody93, Sep 20, 2011.

1. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    So i found a website that has a huge variety of LED lights, with an acceptional selection in all catagories, but i stumbled apon it looking for LED lights to put into my Toyota.

LED Lights & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

i have an optioned out '84 with the exception of 4 wheel drive, and i think the charging system was somewhat lacking having all the power options added into this truck, headlights at an idle will pull down my voltage significantly, let alone if i turn on my turn signal! I'm currently in the process of getting lenses, and working on switching it to HID's in hopes of the current draw being less, and after finding this website, i want to convert all of the bulbs to LEDs to help the strain on the charging system, but the whole reason i'm posting here is because,

I dont know what style bulbs they use in all the different spots in this truck? such as marker lights, turn signals, back up lights, turn signal bulbs? Dash lights even, and a Dome light, i wanna try to help out the elctrical system as much as possible, especially after putting my stereo in, i used some power hungry amps, so you do see that it is most likely being overworked,

2. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    You should still upgrade your alternator, sylvania has a bulb finder for most makes and models on their website

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    replacing all the bulbs with leds is not going to do that much to help your alt with power hungry amps. jsut like joeynational said, you have to upgrade your alt as well as the wiring from the alt to your battery, your battery to amp and your battery to ground wires.

4. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    +1....battery, alternator and big 3 wiring, will do way more than the LEDs, especially if your running a big stereo

5. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    Well fortunately i'm ahead on all 3 except 1! I put a red top in it, after running the Hot wire for my Stereo, i Matched the ground Wire, as well as an extra 4ga to the block because i was having bad alternator whine. The alternator is the only thing i havent worked on yet, but i have done some looking and research.

Pirate 4x4 has a kit to bolt a GM alternator to the motor, and a 100 amp Alt on Jegs is like $70? Including wire from the GM alternator, it will only add up to $120 or $130? which doesnt seem very expensive to me

6. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    seems good

some places in town can respin alts so that they have more output as well. i have a 130amp alt i bought for my 85 celica so ill try it when i get around to putting that car back togather in the winter

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    did you replace the wire from the alternator to the battery? thats another spot to limit your power also.

8. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    I didn't, but it certainly seems like a good idea

9. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I used superbrightleds.com bulbs in my gauge cluster and tag lights the white ones work well big difference wouldn't use them in my taillights didn't seem bright enough in the daytime

10. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    Which bulbs did you put into your dash?

11. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    On the rewiring your stock alternator,don't wast your money.
    I had this done, & before doing it I was told the stock cases are too small. The company that did mine said output was 140. When I started having the battery dieing with all running I had the alternator tested. They used stock internals ,not over sized rectifiers or didoes. The stock stuff cooked! And the over sized stuff only lasted a short time!! Out put did increase but not enough!!
    Now have a billet cased GM si12,out put 150 & 100 @ idle!!
    Odyssey 1500 battery. :cool:

12. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    Fortunately I hadn't planned on it. A big part for me is the externally regulated part. I definitely want to go to internally regulated. And with that, I'll just spend the money on a bigger alternator, that I know is reliable, and easy to get parts for. In my research, I found a cs130 alt will almost bolt into my truck, but I'm going to keep researching just to see all my options, and go from there. But I still want to convert over to LED lights, also to get away from having burnt out bulb concerns, because I just found a burnt out tail light, that I don't know how long it was burnt out for?

13. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I used three 19 4 wedge bulbs in blue to match my head unit maid a nice improvement over the dull color also used white in my tag lights not a bad upgrade bout twenty bucks

14. Kahuna

Kahuna Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 single cab
    Would you happen to have pics of the new look with the leds??

15. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Soon as I get my Nikon back from my friend ill see if I can get a good pic of them ...I will say that using the 3 high power led about four bucks each instead of the regular 194 led is a good choice but ethier way the cluster looks that of a newer car

16. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    I would definitely be interested in seeing that! Do you have a dome light as well? Cause that would be something I wouldn't mind having really bright as well!

17. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Na my dome light lenses is painted black did when I died my dash black should be getting camera Friday and finishing my third headgasket aghhh OEM gaskets machined head must have a crack anywho I'll see if I can get a pic up of the lights this weekend

18. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    That would be Awesome! Thanks Scrub,

Does anyone know what style the dome lights in these trucks are??

19. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Cody I put the pics. in vbgarage couldn't get my android phone to post pic in this thread they are phone pics so they. Suck but the bulb on the right is the high power next. To it regular led bulb bad pics still waitng on camera

20. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    See my post ,dash work,for photo's of red LED's in place!:cool: