Leaf and shock questions

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Don Ganso, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Don Ganso

Don Ganso Newbie

Hello, long time listener, first time caller. I had a few questions about leaf springs and shocks.
    I have 91 2wd, and I am looking to make it handle. I am planning on going low without a notch, (the limit is about 4", correct?), and I'm wondering what to do about the rear. I know there are belltech lowering leaf springs and some people use the 4x4 springs. Looking around a bit, buying new 4x4 springs is almost as much as buying the belltech springs, but I hear your shock options are limited with the belltechs. What's the better option, or are stock 2wd springs the way to go for me? I think I need new leafs on mine anyway.
    On the front I hear you can use old camaro shocks. I will be using 1 ton torsions and sways (front and rear); is there a particular shock you would recommend?

Thanks!

2. Don Ganso

Don Ganso Newbie

Did I ask the wrong question or something?

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I like my 4x4 leafs. Low with payload capacity intact. You'll want to shorten the shackles too so your pinion angle won't getting too wonky. I'm running 4" tapered blocks with a small notch but 2" blocks would work well with no notch.

Stock length shocks are fine out back with 4x4 springs and camaro up front is the hot ticket if you're not going to use drop spindles.

You're on the right track for the rest of the plan. Don't forget to swap out all the bushings to urethane too. That made a dramatic difference on my worn out old truck for sure.

4. Don Ganso

Don Ganso Newbie

Well, the more I search, the more disheartened I get about finding decent condition 4x4 springs at a decent price... Is there a way to see if my leaf springs are worn out? I am starting to think about getting beefedtaco's 3/4 drop kit for simplicity's sake... Bushings are definitely on the list.

Has anyone used the camaro front shocks in a racing(ish) capacity? I've seen the Konis are the only ones that seem to be much of an improvement over monomax pickup shocks. I'm looking for damping rates on the monomax shocks, but I can't find any. I don't want to end up with too stiff of camaro shocks in the front.

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    You'll need stiffer shocks to control the 1 ton torsion bars. I have stock application mono max all around and the front is decent but it could use some more damping. Lil Lola has camaro shocks with stock torsions and sway bar and he's happy with the setup.

Whatever you do for springs out back make sure you spin your overload around so the long end is to the front to act like a traction bar.

6. Don Ganso

Don Ganso Newbie

I appreciate the help, thanks! However, doesn't a traction bar need to be attached at one end to the frame and the other end to the axle/leaf connection? How's spinning the overload around going to help if it's not anchored to the frame?

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Never heard of slapper bars? Back in the late 60's it was common to have a piece of box tube welded to the u bolt plate with an adjustable rubber bump stop on the end of it. When you'd launch the bump stop would hit the eye of the leaf spring and keep the springs from S'ing and causing axle hop.

Spinning the overload long end forward works like that. The ride and payload remains the same but now the spring doesn't wrap nearly as bad.

8. Don Ganso

Don Ganso Newbie

Ok, thanks for the explanation, I think I understand. Does anyone here know the damping rates for the monomax fronts? I'm not sure what camaro shocks I should get, want to compare rates.