Keep the 20r or 22r, 22re

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Sang park, May 4, 2016.

1. Sang park

Sang park Member

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a truck 75 with 20r and 4 spd. I'm in the process of swapping in another cab due to rust issues. I figure it's the perfect time to rebuild the 20r or do a swap. I'm looking to build a reliable truck with a bit more hp that I can daily and go 80 mph on the freeway without any problem. The 20r does need a new carburetor and I ordered a weber. I spent around 350 for the weber and regulator. For that price I might as well do a swap? What yall think? And of course I'm looking for a 5 speed as well.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hybrid

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I too have a 75 and though my truck runs fine, I decided that I'm either going to stay with 20r or go 20/22r hybrid. If I'm going to go through and deal with a more involved engine swap, I'm not even going to waste my time with a 2Xr series, and go straight to either a Lexus 1uz or Tacoma 2/3rz. Heck, I've even had some blasphemous thoughts of somehow mating it with a Prius.

4. Sang park

Sang park Member

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards a 20/22r hybrid or a 2rz. I was told by Chilkat their motor mount for 78+ should work with my 75 with some modification. Anyone here with a 2rz swap for 75-77?

twizted1 likes this.
  5. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Besides boosting a 2rz, a mildly built 22r hybrid will be faster.

Whole lot easier to put in too

6. Sang park

Sang park Member

Thanks everyone for your input! I decided to go with a 22/20r hybrid. Now I'm off to find a 22r. Anything I need to watch out for when swapping over the 22?

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just make sure you get the early block. Single or double roller dont matter. Parts are compatible.81-84 is all that matters. Just look for the difference in the casting on te exhaust side