Just bought a 1980 pickup. A few questions.

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by SteveH, Nov 7, 2017.

1. SteveH

SteveH Newbie

Hi all! Excited to be here. Just bought a 1980 pick up.

Wondering if anyone has a recommended mechanic in the San Francisco Bay Area. I live in Oakland.

Also wondering about emissions testing. The trucks in great shape and has been well maintained. Wondering if anyone has recommendations / thoughts / probability of passing the CA emissions test with this model pick up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Technically in order to "legally" sell it in CA, the seller was responsible for SMOG, not you. I don't think you can even register it in your name w/o a current (within 90-days) smog certificate on a title transfer but I could be wrong.

Older vehicles in general area tough to smog in CA, they still get the tailpipe sniffer test from 1976-1999 vehicles. Even my 93 Toyota pickup with the 22re is close on the #s and I worry it won't pass smog every time I go in - kinda why I bought my 75 :)

At a minimum, make sure it's running good and dialed in. I want to say most people's issues originate with problems in the EGR system - so make sure the valve functions and the return tube is clear. Make sure the carb is not gunked up and functioning properly and operating smoothly, all vacuum lines installed and not cracked, valve clearance is set within spec, timing, etc. If you're missing smog parts, good luck!

Really though, a good running vehicle should be within smog specs.

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
  4. SteveH

SteveH Newbie

Thanks a bunch Perkolator.

I actually bought it in Arizona, and will be driving it across state lines.

Definitely looking to have it serviced before the smog, so hoping to kill any concerns through that. I guess time will tell. Thanks again for the tips.

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Sorry I can't help you on that one. I'd imagine things would be even tougher (perhaps not) due to CA specific smog laws vs an Arizona truck.