I've got a V8 92'. Who's got a front suspension setup that is awesome?

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Erik Beeman, Jan 26, 2016.

1. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Yeah, you're all set out back....

Other than getting the 1-ton T-bars, you have the swayaway bars mentioned earlier, or coilovers(fabrication).

2. coolbet13

coolbet13 Member

that a cage I spy? lets see some interior pics? I also have a 8.8 rear and would be interested to see how you set up the rear swaybar.

3. REDZ

REDZ Enthusiast

dont know if it was said earlier in the thread as i only glanced over the posts ... you can probably do a QA1 setup in the front as the have both bound and rebound adjust ability, custom top mounts will have to be made and you will have to change the upper control arms for the coils to fit in-between them. iirc a company named cando specialities or something like that does the control arms.

Jayyo likes this.
  4. KIMSEY

KIMSEY Newbie

The dry weight (w/o fluids) of my 22r and trans was 440 lbs on a freight scale. The same scale weighed my 302 @ 415 lbs dry, and my bell housing and t5 trans were 95 lbs wet. So that's roughly a 70 lb difference between the two. Not that much more weight.

I am running stock torsion bars that have been re-indexed and tightened up a bit to add a little more rigidity. I have 2" Belltech drop spindles and my ride is very decent. Does it handle like my M3? No, but I'm still able to autocross and drift it with relative ease. If money wasn't a factor on this truck, and I was wanting the best possible handling, I would work on building a tubular A-Arm and coilover front suspension for it. Never really looked at it, but could possibly use A-Arms and such from a IFS 4wd Toyota p/u.

What mounts did you use? Did you have any oil pan to subframe clearance issues?

5. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    With the front end swap to the entire 95' t4r, additional supporting parts for the v8, like large radiator, fans, and little things, and the twin turbo setup in the works, there is more than just the 70lbs. The truck is also has a cage tied across the frame which really tightened up the entire truck giving me less (for a good reason) frame flex which, believe it or not, is very noticeable in the suspension. These factors, and the want for an adjustable or somewhat tune-able suspension are my reasoning's. I have considered the drop spindles, but I've been thinking of getting rid of the Toyota spindles all together. With real large tires up front, which I don't have now, but at some point in time (could be years), I've heard the little bearings can't handle the abuse and tend to fry up; I've yet to see it in person but something I keep in mind. I always try to engineer stuff overboard and keep future factors in mind when building on this truck. From all the replies, it sounds like the best bet is to go custom tubular A-arm's and a nice coilover. I wasn't a fan of the QA1 when I did research, it seemed cheap.

I used the NWOR (Northwest Off-Road) mount kit. I've had this swap for about 4 or so years now. Back before I bought the mounts I called NWOR and talked to their lead engineer, or tech, whatever you want to call them. I can't remember his name. They don't sell the swap mounts with the 2WD as an option because they said they don't fit, the 4WD Toyota's have more clearance due to the higher body off the frame. I told him I wanted them anyway, which he said I'll have no warranty, but I didn't care. He asked that if I were to install them, and they worked, that I send them pictures and instructions about the install...I never did. The only problem, or not really a problem, but setback is, is that you have to stick with the stock twin-sump Ford oil pan; you can't really run an aftermarket pan (unless custom made), because you then run into fitment issues with the sump hitting the crossmember and sway bar. If you use the twin-sump pan, the crossmember fits directly between the two sumps, perfectly. I always said to myself during my swap, "I think Ford worked with Toyota for this". I made my own trans mount to bolt to the factory location. I also did a hydraulic clutch swap as the WC-T5 I have is originally cable driven.

REDZ likes this.
  6. REDZ

REDZ Enthusiast

hey do you have any pics of the above

7. KIMSEY

KIMSEY Newbie

Yeah, same mounts that I am using with about the same amount of time on the swap. When I originally swapped mine, I had clearance between oil pan and subframe, but when I was looking at it while putting a new built T5 the other week, the 1/4" of clearance has really closed up. Guess the poly bushings in the mounts are due for a change.

Check out Penske coilovers for some high quality pieces. The 7500 series would be the chit on our trucks. They are double adjustable and infinitely customizable in terms of valving and spring rates. Over the years I've installed them on 15+ track cars, and I have never had a customer complain about them. Plus Penske has always had top notch support and services for their products.

8. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    I found some pictures of the cage I did a few years back. I built the cage with a buddy right after I built the supercharged 4cyl motor. I felt the need for extra safety :silly:. That little supercharged 22re banged the gears!

I'll have to snap some pictures of the NWOR mounts installed with the V8, I can't seem to find any of just the mounts (other than the ones I have of me opening the shipping box, which does no good).

Attached Files:

9. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Nice setup bro, would you mind Sharing how you got your E-brake to work with the disc brake setup?

10. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    heres a video i took in october when i flew back to CA for vacation. I live in Portland now and dont have a place for it yet.

let my buddy smash it in the industrial area. im getting the itch for a 240 rear section and a nice front suspension.

jblaust likes this.
  11. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    couples pics of the truck, no specific order. you can see the supercharged 22re i built before i went v8. as v8 sits now got forged internals with cam and stock ported headed with beehive springs and valves, dp weiand intake with 570vs electric choke holley. i have the holley 650dp that i sent to CSU carbs and had it setup for the twin turbos when i get there eventually, the motor was setup for some mild boost 48171_10151502414614994_34992220_n.jpg 417839_10151658288754994_249471277_n.jpg 422358_10151173822454994_82867419_n.jpg 581035_10151275073584994_1187729446_n.jpg 644339_10152065511459994_518172417_n.jpg 734384_10152036997079994_612265812_n.jpg 10885325_10153146739439994_884590375727752055_n.jpg .

12. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    goodness!