ISO 1st gen hilux

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Rynosaur, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

Hello all! I've been searching for a 69-72 1st gen toyota hilux for sale in texas, anyone seen any posted somewhere, or does anyone have one for sale? Let me know! I'd consider something newer also; maybe an 80s model if the price is right

Let me know, thanks!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Only what I've seen on craigslist. Theres a 74 in Houston listed about a month ago for twice what I think it's worth.

There was a diesel 'yota on there a while back, but I think it sold fast

3. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

I actually went and looked at that 74, its in pretty rough shape. It needs a lot of love and a lot of sheet metal work. I've been hoping something else would come up but nothing yet, I'm willing to travel out of state for the right deal

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Open up your search 69-72 are the years for the 1st gen Hilux

5. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

Just edited my post thanks for the tip,
    There's just not much coming up in the state. I've been searching craigslist for any year hilux, but no luck on "the one" yet

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Replace hilux with truck, pickup, pick up, Hi lux, Hi-lux.

Found mine when i searched Hi-lux

Rynosaur likes this.
  7. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

I'm really digging the toyota stout also just another option!

8. hiluxguy

hiluxguy Member

9. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

I saw this one also, I'm interested in it. Though it's posted in dallas, the map says El paso, and I called the guy and he's located in new mexico! Kinda wild

What do you guys think is a fair price on it? It needs carb work, it only runs for a short time before it starts shoot gas he says. Also It's not pained it's primer

10. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    if it needs carb work, it probably needs more work than that. Even though it's rare, I'd be hard pressed to offer more than 2000 if it won't run reliably. I'd also point out the lack of interior pictures. Consider everything that isn't brand new off the lot as a project vehicle when buying it, and offer accordingly.

The Toyota Stout is another Toyota pickup worth looking at, depending on your taste.

11. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

Still on the prowl for a toyota, I'm not trying to get in a rush though. Hopefully something comes up, I like the stout more and more everyday though they seem to be extremely hard to find

12. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

Anyone seen anything lately?

13. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

" '82 SR5 " sounds like it might B a diesel. An '83 has been offered me. CAn I get parts for this motor after it's been machined? Is it just a converted 20R (same size - 2L). Brandy new to these rigs. How bout body panels?

Sorry, Thud, I C no dates w/these posts so it's hard to tell when U visited…

Thnx!

14. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    SR5 is an option package. Mine came with a 2.4l 22r, 5-speed, 3.8ish gearing, and no horsepower.

Most of the important panels are available from rockauto.com and ebay. LCEPerformance.com is a reliable place to get 'performance' parts, and engnbldr.com is a budget place to get reliable upgrades if you're looking for a (small) boost without breaking the bank. Cost-effectively, though, if you want more than another 30-50hp, I'd say consider an engine swap, as the stock engines are reliable but very piggish. 3rz is the modern replacement, the tacoma v6 is a very cheap hp offerring, or go full hog and drop a 2jz-gte or 1uz in there (just not with the stock drivetrain).

15. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

Thanks Tuhd.
    I've f/u on several of ur references, helpful! No engine prts @ LCE.
    I have the straight 6 in the bronk (versus 289, 302, 5 oh and 351/5.8) & would keep the 2.2 in the '83 if getting it. Wouldn't afford the modern engines considering this is going to be a total rebuild/it has the veg oil set up. I'll keep @ fleebay & now go to rockauto, didn't think of them.
    Who has the best sheet metal (shells, full & patch panels)? Lotta 'knock offs' never fit.

U C any caps to fit a LWB in ur prt of TX?

16. Arcean82

Arcean82 Newbie

Truck:
    1982 pickup and a 1984 hilux
    I have a 84 gt I would sale cheap located about an hour from abilene. It's rough no title but could get a bondedone. Bed is rough but cab is pretty good, Trans, and transfer have been rebuilt about 8 years ago. Maybe 3000 miles on themjust been setting at the farm. Got it running this past feb, but pulled carb to put on my sr5. I'll get my budy to go by and get some photos.

17. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

Here I am, almost a year later! Still looking :duh:

18. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

I should have had your patience. It will pay off. Pulled the trigger on mine too soon. Happy with it, but think I could have held out for something better. (Mine cam from Texas, by the way)

19. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

I'm finding it really hard to find a first generation in Texas, any other places I should check? I've also considered going out of state

20. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

Back again guys! I got the opportunity to expand my search to the west coast. Have any of you guys see any? I have found a couple
    One is LA, badass condition and finished project. But it's more than I want to spend. There's also one In Bakersfield but for some reason the guy doesn't want to sell even though it's up on Craigslist. Let me know if someone comes across one. I've been waiting one for a while, I'm ready to pull the trigger on one.