Interior Dilema

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by KK082409, Oct 26, 2009.

1. KK082409

KK082409 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 single cab
    Everything on the inside of my truck is stock and in great condition but im looking to go custom. I dont know how to sew but might be interested in "trying" all the interior work myself. How hard is this project?
    I would like to replace door panels, carpet, headliner and seats. Is there a detailed thread on how to recover seating or carpeting? I figure the door panels and headliner are pretty straight forward.
    Thanks.

2. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    yeah i would think door panels,headliner are pretty easy..so would the carpet..you can find a pre-molded kit,or even the raw carpet is easy to put in...seats will be the biggest issue..I know if you take the seat covers off and cut the stitching with a razor blade you can have yourself a good template

3. KK082409

KK082409 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 single cab
    i agree.... im just wondering if it is easier just to go pay someone to do it.... got a quote and its about $900 to re-do everything

4. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    I would suggest you get the seats professionally done.... not to expensive. Carpet pre molded and change the color. Im going black. Headliner... remove and replace with material of your choice... the one thing you need to watch on the headliner is that the front of it wraps up around and is urethaned in with the window. Door panels are pretty easy, get the material u want and wrap em!

5. Sound.Vision.Soul

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    And dont forget they make interior paints.... so you can change the colors of other things too... or just wrap them. Like the interior door handles.

6. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    i had my entire interior done for around $400(carpet,door panels,shift boot,headliner,seats)..that seems a little high being our cabs are so small..what kind of materials?

[​IMG]

7. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    joey thats a really good price you got for your work, the $900 sounds more like average and about what we would charge for that amount of work.

8. KK082409

KK082409 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 single cab
    That is a killer deal.... maybe here in california its a bit more.... not really sure... would probably be worth it to drive out to where you got yours done for that price.... do you have some close ups of your interior?

9. TheRookie

TheRookie Member

Truck:
    77 Pickup
    Interior work is completely possible, door panels especially. Just be sure to spend money in the right spot. Here is a link to a write up a did for the Club 4ag forum :

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=42637&page=1

good luck

I worked at an upholstery shop for about a year.:looney:

10. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    this was along time ago when I had mine done.probably close to 10 years,the material is pleather and tweed.its holding up great no stitching is coming off or anything.I am thinking of freshing it up a little and try and do it myself..

what specifically do you want close ups of? I can get some pics if you want,this is the only other interior shot i have

[​IMG]

11. KK082409

KK082409 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 single cab
    thats a good enough picture for me, thanks.... I think I'm just going to pay someone to do it so I don't mess anything up. I do have a question about the window cranks? I have been looking around and just needed to know if they are all the same, universal. Whether I go with something from summit racing, jegs or billet specialties.

12. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    they are supposed to be universal..I bought mine from Pep Boys and they are made by APC..

they look exactly like this

[​IMG]

...but mine did not have the three different adapters,I only had the square..so i had to file my window regulator square..I would also highly recommend NOT using those set screws if you get this type, after a while the set screws will not hold and the crank will feel real sloppy and might even not hold tight enough to roll down your window(mine slipped and left a groove on the base)...What i did was slightly drill out all the holes that had set scews and I hammered in some roll pins..the crank feels 100% better, its not loose and sloppy and no issues when rolling the windows:waytogo:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  13. KK082409

KK082409 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 single cab
    thanks I will go check them out... summit racing has some as well and they only run about $35.... not to bad at all.

14. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    yeah the quality of mine is not too bad..the only complaint I have is with the set screws. I think I paid $20

15. KK082409

KK082409 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 single cab
    that is a deal

16. Sound.Vision.Soul

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Yea a nice set of window cranks can really clean things up!

17. KK082409

KK082409 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 single cab
    ..... and how about the dash? I'm looking to do something with the stock dash but not sure what to do? is paint the only way to clean it up?

Just for kicks, Im having a hard time deciding what color to paint the outside of my truck.... Im thinking just a flat black or maybe something colorful like a bright orange or green. I need some opinions.

18. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    i painted my dash..it used to be blue,just make sure you prep it right..that is the key

orange would be cool!! or a candy apple green!

19. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    hey just make sure you dont use a gloss black, especially the du-pont vinyl stuff, i mean it looks good but if its sunny out you can kiss seeing out your windshield cuz of the glare from the paint hopefully my g-pa is going to wrap mine wen i go see him on thanksgiving

20. KK082409

KK082409 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 single cab
    Thanks cause thats what i was looking to do, the gloss black... Im thinking of just doing flat black and grey tweed on the interior... a little boring but at least if i change the color of my truck it will all go together