Intake Nightmare

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Gr8KornHolio, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    So, all I wanted to do was change my thermostat. 2 bolts, 1 hose clamp, simple. Nope, bolt closest to the head snapped in half as easy as the first bolt broke loose. So I've been soaking it with all the latest anti seize stuff and of course after drilling it with the left handed bits and then using the bolt remover, the bolt remover broke off too.

So to my question. Is it possible to unbolt the carb from the intake (leaving all the fuel and vacuum lines attached) and then remove the intake from the head? I'm trying to remove as few lines and connections as possible.

It's an 85 22r manual. Any tips or other advice is greatly appreciated.

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I would reference a good vacuum diagram and take pictures....Most of the hoses can only reach so far, or are "trained", so it shouldn't be too bad putting it all back together.

3. RoyBoy

RoyBoy Newbie

Truck:
    86 XtraCab 4WD
    You can use masking tape and label all of the hoses and connectors. Take a TON of digital photos (since they are free). A machine shop may be able to cut out the drill bit with an end-mill.

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Im no help on removing the intake, i always deleted them all..

But, If it's one of the square easy outs, they make a tool for that.. or if you manage to get it out somehow else, heat it up red hot with a torch then try another easy out right after you heat it up. Works 99% of the time for me.