Installing modern radio and kill switch in '78 truck

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by sean_moy, Mar 3, 2016.

1. sean_moy

sean_moy Newbie

Is it difficult to install a modern radio in a 1978 toyota truck? There is no radio currently in it and there doesn't seem to be as many wires as the newer radios have.

Also, has anyone any recommendations on how to install a kill switch in this model of truck?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just need a constant +, switched +, ground and then your speaker wires. Oh and the antenna. Pretty easy. Mounting it idk lol

As for the kill switch, put something that will kill power to the coil. Im assuming you want it as a theft deterrant?

3. sean_moy

sean_moy Newbie

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Its a clean truck. I personally wouldnt pay that much, if it was pre smog id expect to pay a fair amount but still not 5k.

It all depends if its worth it to you

5. sean_moy

sean_moy Newbie

Would you pay 4k for it? I think I could get it for that

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Maybe 3k. Close to 4k if it was damn near perfect

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Keep in mind that truck is 38 years old. The odometers back then went to 99.9K miles then reset back to zero. That truck could have 178k or even 278k miles on it.
    It's a clean looking rig. But not worth 5K.
    Use "due diligence" before you purchase.

As far as a kill switch, I use the ground wire for the fuel pump relay. This leaves only the fuel in the carburetor bowl to run the engine. Enough to move the vehicle a few feet, then they have to bail. Not going to hang around and try to restart it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  8. Sean Moynihan

Sean Moynihan Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys. I knew that the clocks rolled over going to look at the truck. Based on how clean it is I'd imagine it's at 178k. I think I'm going to pass on it, it doesn't feel safe enough on the road to buy it and drive it without having to put money into it straight away.

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I looked for months last year before I bought my truck. I looked at a lot in all parts of CA, saw a lot in Los Angeles area - this one is priced on the upper end of what I was seeing last year. I paid $3k for my truck, but it had a lot of work done already and is a 75 pre-smog and all the pre-smog ones are fetching more money it seemed - for a good reason too I hate dealing with CA smog. Can't imagine the hoops of smogging a 40yr old truck every other year.

With no pics of the engine bay and based on the ad saying the 20r has been gone through, I'm guessing the truck has 178k.

In regards to stereo - wiring is pretty basic, but the issue is location. I haven't found a modern head unit that will fit the hole of the dash. Pretty much all of them these days will require cutting the hole larger and depending on how much you've got to cut you might have to cut into the Toyota emblem on the right side or the EGR square on the left sides of the hole.

10. Sean Moynihan

Sean Moynihan Newbie

Yeah I'd be comfortable paying 3k and if I had to do some work on it so be it. But I'll keep looking and find something soon hopefully!

11. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    yeah I just kept on looking, finally saw the right one and jumped on it. guy even got like 3 calls while I was looking at it, one guy was 3 hours away, lol.

12. Sean Moynihan

Sean Moynihan Newbie

Yeah it's all about timing! I just arrived to check out a truck recently and there was someone else just after test driving it and the guy turns and says "Sorry bro, he's taking it". Didn't even get to check it out after driving 45 minutes there!

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I thought i had gotten lucky with mine. Payed under a grand for it but i still have yet to drive it. By the time im behind the wheel il be something over 2Gs into it.

Ive learned a lot so i guess its been pretty well worth it.