Im melting and Im frustrated

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Kev55, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I keep searching around but I cant find a definite answer to figure if my a/c compressor is bad...

I had little a/c performance to begin with but after I tried to refill it, i get nothing...

I took it to an a/c shop and they checked it out for me and found a leak under the evaporator.. But they were never really able to fully connect to the compressor and check both pressure sides because of the location of both nozzles.... so I feel like the compressor wasnt completely checked out.

anyways so I changed the evaporator, the expansion valve, the drier, and I flushed the system and can see that nothing is being blocked.

But my a/c is still dead and I get nothing....

and yes I can see the compressor clutch is kicked on and its spinning...

I do not hear any irregular noise, the system is holding pressure, and I see no obvious problems. But ive changed half this a/c system and Im still sweating my ****ing nutz off everyday so I notice THAT!...

ohhh!! one more thing that might be important! when I took my evaporator out I was reaching around grabbing lose leaves and ****... and I grabbed at this little coil looking piece that is located in the air pass between the evaporator and fan. Yeh I thought it was some garbage and pretty much destroyed the little thing..... but I mean the clutch still kicks on so I feel like electronically its still sound... :shrug:

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I haven't had my ac box apart but the only thing I could think of would be the expansion valve tubing .. That u said u tugged on and messed up .... But that was before u put all the new parts in right ?

Hooking up a set of gauges will tell u if your compressors pumping and or condensation on the cold side tube and the hot side small tube will be hot .. ... . Have you bypassed your low pressure switch just to Mae sure its not bad and keeping the compressor off

3. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    The cable that moves the blend door connected?

4. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

it wasnt the expansion valve I crumpled up, i had the whole evaporator assembly out when I crushed that little piece. Im pretty sure it was to check for temp or something, the way it was positioned.

I can turn the clutch on and off but I get nothing, absolutely nothing. And I can see its spinning. -__-

5. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    It can spin all day long but if you lost one of the compressor valves inside it .. It won't pump
    Gauges will tell you your problem in minutes

I figured you had all that out to access the dirt and leaves .. It could have been the cable for fresh or recirculated air some newer cars have a cold air spring to determine cabin temperature ... Wouldn't think a yota truck would tho but hey

6. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I tried flushing the system and killed the whole bottle but I think I may not have let it all evaporate before sealing the system and recharging it? could that had done something?

But I mean I'm literally getting nothing. none of the lines changes temperature.

7. Toy88yota

Toy88yota Member

Truck:
    88 2wd
    First thing I would do is evacuate the system and pull a proper vacuum before recharging. Hard to say what the flush is doing in there but its probably not helping it work right.

It would also help to know exactly what you broke in the evaporator case, maybe it was nothing but it could have been the sensing bulb for the expansion valve.

8. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

man if I had a vacuum I'd use it, but I don't. and Im broker than broke, so I refuse to take to someone (stubborn... I KNOW!) but I refuse to let anyone touch my yota!!

but like I said, I replaced the evaporator and other necessary parts. the only things I have not replaced are the condenser or compressor. So if anything was obstructed in the evaporator case, its gone now.

Also with the a.c flush spray I used. I was able to see that nothing is blocked going directions in the system..

it just HAS to be the compressor!

i mean ****, it almost has 200k miles, the compressor had to go out eventually......it kind of makes sense... But i just don't have any noise or any other obvious signs that's its broken.

9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I've been watching this thread with interest because I will have to be working on my AC soon, but as Toy88yota says, you need to have the system evacuated for it to work. I understand your feeling about having others touch your yota but, you've done all the serious work already. You do need to take it to a competent AC guy and have him evacuate and fill the sytem correctly.

10. jctoy29

jctoy29 Addict

Truck:
    1993 toyota standard cab short bed
    Plus anytime you open up the system you always have to pull a vaccum because you already exposed the system, it's pointless to start charging with out a vaccum.

11. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Yes all hvac systems need a vacuum before putting freon in .. Air disrupts freon flow .. Just like air in a coolant system .. Cavitation

At this point I would install a new compressor if your going to have the system vacuumed . Wich is pretty much mandatory when the system has been opened

12. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

that's probably my problem! I bet with out having it vacuumed and then re-filling, the system is pushing more than just freon. I bet theres air and still a/c flush liquid in there ****ing it all up. :brickknock:

13. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Hopefully it's just to much air in the system .. How many cans does it take to fill its been so long sense I've had air in mine

Get freon and pag oil for the compressor .. The flush ruins the pag oil and a compressor needs that to stay alive If there's to much air in there and u could only get say one or one half cans of freon in it ...it probably won't cool at all
    Because no room for freon air and freon do not blend they stay separated like oil and water

14. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I couldnt even kill 1 can.... :duh: looks like this is my problem. gotta get someone to vacuum and re-charge with freon.

I bet my drier is done for too because of all the sitting a/c flush?

15. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    It's a rule of thumb whenever a system has been opened the dryer needs to be replaced .. They soak up the moisture in the air like a sponge if the lines were left open for some time it be a good idea .. Also the air already in there .. Has circulated threw the dryer .. If u couldn't get one can in it won't cool at all if its not taking the freon the system is full of air .... Do not turn your ac on until its been vacuumed
    And ready to receive freon and pag oil.

If you can find a guy that will vacuum and add freon and oil right after the vac .. It would be ideal .. But not a must.

A drier is basically a high grade charcoal filter type material I don't believe the flush will ruin it but being exposed to air for a period of time will reduce its effectiveness

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  16. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

That was very helpful thank you

If the flush doesnt effect it, then it'll probably be fine because I never left it open more than minutes. But really whats another $20 for another drier and ill be rocking.

17. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

hey you guys were right! vacuumed the system refilled and now the a/c is kicking!!

isnt quite COLD but having it work is a great thing!

The guy was pretty discouraging though, when I told him i ran a/c flush through it... so Im sure I ****ed that drier up pretty good... so there's still some a/c flush trapped in there probably. at least thats what he said..

18. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Good job getting it solved. Next step would be save up for a new comp and drier and have the guy redo what he did. That should drop the temps down some more. Also there may be a certain type or brand of coolant that is colder than others. Up here in the seattle area i take all my a/c systems out. But kept enough stuff to stick a setup back into one of my trucks if need be.

19. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I dont really even think the compressor is bad anymore!

But one thing i do want to do definitely, is move that ****ing low-pressure connector...
    IDK who's bright idea it was to position the thing on the compressor facing the motor....... both a/c guys had to work from only the high pressure end...

I must have taken the compressor on and off like 20 damn times just to recharge the system...

20. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Yes it's a bad spot for that low p sensor they get cranky after age two ... A electric fan on your condenser will aid a bit in keeping the ac colder specially if u converted to r 134 .. It needs more airflow across the condenser to be as efficient as r12 and traffic and slow driving it has a harder time getting cold with a just a mechanical fan throw u a ten inch e fan on that condenser and gain a few degrees ...