ignition issue help !

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Resurreccion_Kid, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Resurreccion_Kid

Resurreccion_Kid Newbie

Truck:
    80 Pickup
    What's up guys I recently started replacing vital parts one by one slowly seeing what was necessary to replace. Ive replaced so far cap and rotor, sp wires, SP, battery terminals, ignition coil, all vacuum lines and fuel lines and just for fun colored my valve cover. My ignition started acting funny recently. After the car would warm up and id shut it off it wouldnt start again so I figured vapor lock and wrapped my fuel lines. But now when I crank it over a few things will happen. The car will either: 1 crank over, misfire and die if I give it gas. 2 wont crank over, thud and then gas would bellow from the carb. 3 somehow would manage to start but then I hear a ticking coming from the ignition coil. I even shocked myself DAMN THAT HURT. some insight would be great

2. eighty_D

eighty_D Member

Truck:
    '79 SR5 2wd lwb
    Gas out the carb sounds like timing may have jumped, I would test the ignitor, and pull the valve cover, rotate to tdc and see if the cam lines up. tick from coil could be arcing. Ohm coil wire and check for high resistance., check boots for carbon tracks.

3. Resurreccion_Kid

Resurreccion_Kid Newbie

Truck:
    80 Pickup
    Alright so heres the deal with it now. I've literally changed almost everything on the damn thing. I just replaced fuel lines and fuel pump as well as the fuel filter. I also just rebuilt the carb. I'll spray the damn carb with starting fluid and it will just start and die. My only guess is that the carb is just done. I'm obviously getting spark and the car just runs off the starter fluid for that second. Any other guesses ?

4. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    sounds right. if the car is running off the starting fluid, then it seems to be a "fuel delivery" issue. nothing in the jets/carb is clogged? sounds like a restriction of some sort. make sure the fuel line is not "collapsed" internally.
    what kind of setup do u have for the fuel pump + filter? (electric FP, external, stock?)
    when u press the gas pedal, do u hear fuel squirt out?

5. Resurreccion_Kid

Resurreccion_Kid Newbie

Truck:
    80 Pickup
    My thoughts exactly. Im running a new fuel pump mechanical and its spectra. Also just changed fuel filter. I know the pump is working. And ive tested the outlet seeing if its pumping and fuel is coming out. Im thinking once i rebuilt the carb something went wrong somewhere i cleaned all jets out fine