Idea's for 77-SR5 audio installation.

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by SD808, May 23, 2014.

1. SD808

SD808 Newbie

Truck:
    77 SR5 Hilux
    Hi out there I'm planning on installing an Audio system for my 77 longbed. Just wanted to get some of your guy's feedback on the type of placement and unique ideas that you all have come up with. I already have the deck but am not sure if I want to chop up the center console. Also would like to know bazooka vs box sub. Any help and pix would be much appreciated thank's

2. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Theres a lot of qualifying questions to ask on this. Like: What kind of music do you like? How much space are you willing to sacrifice for the stereo system? Are you planning to run a simple head unit to speakers and sub or go multi-amp with everything powered? Our trucks, of course, are limited in space, but an install could be anything from replacing an indash radio and stock speakers to a wild, multi-amp, multi-sub, cut holes in the cab and bed for a blow-through box type setup.
    One of the things I would say is critical has little to do with the actual stereo but makes a huge difference is sound deadening. Whether its Lizard Skin, Dynamat, the stuff from the hardware store, whatever, the better you can insulate the cab from the outside noise (exhaust, engine, road noise, ect.) the better your stereo will sound.
    As far as tube subs compared to box subs, I tend to like box subs better. Were you wanting to make a sub box or buy an already made box? Theres plenty of powered and non-powered subs on the market that will fit our cabs. Mostly 8-10 inch subs, given the space restrictions.
    What kind of speakers were you considering running? 2 or 4? regular car speakers or separates? what size were you thinking of running?