How To Do A Ball Joint Flip (by SD Yota)

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by SD YOTA, Mar 22, 2010.

1. trackfox

trackfox Enthusiast

Truck:
    77 longbed
    so could you put more spacers on top as well?

also could you put longer bolts and some kind of braket/spacer(two spacers connected for strength between the bolts?

2. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    My biggest question is how does it hand after words ????

3. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    I'll let you know..Im in process of doing this and replacing all suspension/steering components

4. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    just completed my BJ flip, i did both upper and lower just in case. Also put on all new ball joints tied rods and shocks.

Now, i notice that the tires seem to be cambered a lil. They are butterflying enough that i can notice it and my tires make a squeaking noise when on the road like they are barely touching on the inside of the tire to the road if that makes sense. Only thing i could think of why they would be making that noise

anyone else have any camber issues, I just dropped the truck off to get alignment i know it wont fix any camber issues but curious to see if it fixes the squeaking tires..

5. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I did mine with no spacers. I don't have any "camber issues" but upon lowering my truck, the suspension naturally had camber as it gets lower. I'm at 2* of camber, with my toe fixed. I could revert to 0* if I wanted to (I only have 2* for actual cornering since I auto-x'd this past summer on r-compounds).

did you torque it down, Joey? (I'm pretty sure you did, lol). Snap several pics if you can, I'm not sure how you're having camber issues, unless it just added camber, but it should be a minimal amount.

6. garagedoorman

garagedoorman Addict

Truck:
    86 RN63 /87 RN50 /85 SR5 /80 4x4 /86 RN55
    Wow Joey, about time. In another ten years you can get some drop spindles :). welcome to the lowlife

7. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    ^^lol

alignment ended up fixing it all

8. Micro Machines

Micro Machines Member

Truck:
    92 xcab 22re
    Thanks bro always heard about this but never seen step by step direction. Super easy to follow, and great pictures!

9. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    just did this today, used this thread as a refresher and i have to say it was well writen and the pictures help trumendous. i think im going to have to go back and add the 1/2 inch of spacers for sure. the rear sits alittle lower still and i need every bit i can get.

10. Hinudie

Hinudie Member

Truck:
    87 Toyota Pickup
    Hey Guys!

Totally stoked on this and was exactly what I was needing and looking for! However, one quick and easy question. I don't have jack stands and only one jack that came with the truck..... How could I do this? Find another jack and do one side at a time? If so, would a normal car jack work? Just not really wanting to go out and buy jack stands.

Thanks!!
    Ronnie

11. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Jack stands are cheap as cake if you have a harbor freight anywhere nearby. heck, some Walmarts carry them (or used to). dropping 25-50 bucks on something you can use over and over is a deal. You may even be able to do a WTB on craigslist.

Also, you don't want to support the truck with just a jack. They tip over or fail much easier than a jack stand. As someone who's had a buddy run over by a vehicle that slipped off a jack, I say don't chance it (he lived, don't worry, but he's got some scars that won't go away anytime soon from where the pumpkin caught his head). Sure, you may never experience a fail, but seriously, don't risk it. A face full of frame is VERY BAD. There's a reason why there are warnings.

12. Hinudie

Hinudie Member

Truck:
    87 Toyota Pickup
    I totally agree and will definitely go snag some jack stands! However, is it ok if I use my regular jack to hold the A arm?

Ronnie

13. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    bumping this up...

14. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I have a feeling I should consult a Chiltons or FSM before answering that. I personally don't trust them scissor jacks that come with the vehicles for something like that (barely for changing a tire, personally), but I've also never heard of anyone having a problem with them. Then again, I haven't heard of anyone using them on the control arm.

If you do use the scissor jack... keep your legs out of the way in case it loses hold and the torsion bar takes over for a good downward swing at anything under it. Once you have the lower ball joint off the lower arm (while you're in the process of flipping), you're going to want to be very, very certain it's well supported, as the downward swing bump stop is attached to the upper control arm and won't catch it if it goes (you might need a new shock if this happens).

I'd trust a floor jack over the scissor (you know, them heavy duty ones with the hydraulic lift arm). Given your circumstances and the cost of a decent floor jack, I'd probably use one jackstand on the frame (on the side you're working on), and support the arm with the second jackstand, using the scissor jack as secondary movement only when needed. That's basically how I did my exploration under my front suspension, only with a floor jack instead (and found out I need suspension from a newer truck to do a flip).

Keep in mind with any advice I have, I am not a mechanic, nor do I spend every weekend working on my vehicle. Almost everything I have here is advice I've gathered from others.

15. mattyj

mattyj Newbie

curious about this too.

MattyJ

16. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    take a look and see if it'll work.

17. L3GACY

L3GACY Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 ExCab
    ill be doing the uppers and lowers this week as well as dropping a 4" block in the rear. cant wait to get lower. dont like floating up in the sky anymore. ill take measurements and pics of before and after as well.

18. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Its probably possible if you spent a lot of time making it work, but the ball joint has the bolts attached to it, they arent loose bolts like the newer ones.. Also, i cant recall forsure, but i think there is stuff on the A arm that wouldnt allow you to bolt the ball joint on top of it..

19. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    I totally feel like an idiot. I knew about this mod, but for some reason had it in my head it was the upper B/J so when I had my LCA off my truck replacing it with the DJM 3" drop one I just bolted the lower B/J where it was thinking I'd do the flip when I add the spindles. OOPS!

20. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    lol... no worries man, the process stil takes less than an hour or so to flip em.