Hood Weather Strip - Getting Water in the Cab

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 71hans, Nov 3, 2011.

1. 71hans

71hans Member

Truck:
    71 Toyota Hilux
    In one of my previous posts (Rust on the Floorboards) I explained some bad rust on the floorboards. It recently rained and I noticed that I am getting water in the cab from an area above the brake pedal, around the rod that pushes vacuum. This water caused the bad rust on the floorboards, the water runs right to the rusted area. I need to know what you guys have done for weather stripping around the hood to keep water out. I need to stop water from getting into the engine compartment and into the cab.

Thanks

2. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    There should be a grommet around that rod that prevents intrusion of water. I can't be sure since these trucks are so old, but mine has nothing to catch H2O around the hood. Seems like it would be fairly easy to install though-but it would need to be thin since there are no channels. You might also look at where your fender ends and your engine compartment begins, originally there were rubber flaps that attached there and created a canopy down below the tire's spray radius to prevent intrusion. Most of that rubber is long gone on most of these trucks-mine was. So w/o those flaps, every time your driving on wet pavement water is being thrown straight across and into the engine cmpt and back against the firewall.

Moderator we need to have a clean up on aisle 2-spammer alert!!