hilux gauge upgrade using celica parts

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by standardbyker88, May 13, 2010.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    so, for a long time i have worked out the wiring and physical fitment issues on making this project happen. and i think i have it all worked out. the goal is to use first gen (72-78ish) celica gauges in a 72-78 hilux. the benefits are a speedometer that reads to 120 instead of 100. it also doesnt have the metric reading, and has a trip odometer. they physically fit the stock cluster fine. the other round hole gets the celica tach. its an 8k tach, with a 5500 redline (72-74 had an 18r, and it started the redline at 6300). also fits stock location. the nice part is they have raised lettering instead of screen printed lettering.

for mounting the speedo, you need to either cut off the trip odometer post down low, or drill a hole in the cluster. as well as extend the shaft by welding in a piece of metal coat hanger, or splicing 2 speedo posts. im doing the latter. you will also need to get a speedometer cable for the same era celica, because hilux clips on and celicas screwed on. used in good shape, or new. either way should be fine. calibration is another topic for a later day.

by putting a tach in the left area, you lose the gas gauge and water temp gauge. as well as the BRAKE, OIL, and CHARGE idiot lights. i dont care about brake, since i know if my ebrake is on by looking at it. lol. as for the other two gauges, i will be using the stock celica ones where the stock stereo used to be. i relocated it into the console. celicas came with either 2 idiot lights in another round gauge to the right, or with a twin gauge. i have only seen that gauge one time and i bought it. lol. you will need to get the oil pressure sending unit and swap it for your switch (one is on/off, one sends a variable signal). or, you can get a T fitting and run both. i plan to wire the idiot light to a blinker flasher, and have that light up a red bulb inside the gauge to pull my eyes to it if it drops low without me knowing it. i looked it up and the sending unit is the same as any 20/22R toyota or 5/7M that had an oil gauge (not light) up to 95 should work.

so on to the photos, and yes, i do plan to paint one set of faces white with black letters. since i have 2 full sets of celica gauges. cost me a whopping $20 or so. lol.

heres a lot of pictures to show the idea. i think a set of them painted white with black letters would look really good. the small ones would need vinyl stickers made in black for the lettering since they arent raised.

overall front, not in final locations
    [​IMG]

temporary rear mounts :lol:
    [​IMG]

20r style tach face
    [​IMG]

18r style tach face
    [​IMG]

hard to tell, but the letters are raised
    [​IMG]

hole drilled, but shaft is too short for the knob
    [​IMG]

temp and fuel gauges
    [​IMG]

both styles of oil/charge
    [​IMG]

2. standardbyker88

Truck:
    the one thing i am wondering, is since that charge gauge is an ammeter, if i put a high output alternator in...would i fry the gauge from sending too much power through it. i will run a parallel wire from the alt for the gauge, i dont want to charge all of my truck through an old gauge. so, maybe i could put a resistor in to make it think its only on a 0-50A scale, instead of a 0-110A scale. but they would all look very factory so thats a huge bonus.

3. white93turbotruck

white93turbotruck Enthusiast

i like the gauges.they sort of remind me of the 620 gauges. i like the old-school gauges.the new mustang has those kind of gauges too.i'm looking to do a sr5 gauge cluster swap for my 93.then put white indiglo reverse gauges too!!! that would be cool if you could white face those celica gauges too!!!

4. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    yep...amp meter goes poof with the high amp alt. You could run a large cable like you said to the batt. but im not 100% what would happen with the power flow. Remember electricity likes the path of least resistance, and I think the load of the ammeter might protect it if there is a second cable straight to the battery. I donno, find a second gauge and test it out.

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Well that gauge cluster plastic is stock. 620s had 3 openings. I'm just swapping in better gauges.

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I would find a second gauge, but these cars are rare enough as it is. If I had to I could run aftermarket voltage and oil, but the old school combo gauge is so much cooler. It brings me back to thinking that 2 stock type alternators with regulators is the way to go. Total output is the same, but I could run the gauge through only 1 circuit. And wiring should be pretty easy that way, just copy the factory layout.