Hesitation from a dead stop?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by mp3deviant721, Sep 8, 2010.

1. mp3deviant721

mp3deviant721 Newbie

Truck:
    '86 Pickup
    86 Pickup, 22re, 2wd, auto trans. The truck hesitates from a dead stop. No matter where you are. I thought it might be a overfilled trans issue but that didn't solve the problem. Could it be that the fuel pump is weak or fuel filter is clogged? It seems fine when you rev it up during idle though. And the truck has a long crank time too. I don't know if that could be a related issue though. What do all of you think?

2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Sounds like it could be a fuel issue, I would change the fuel filter first and go from there.

3. neverlowenuff

neverlowenuff Member

Truck:
    85 reg cab
    Does the engine "ping" when pulling hard? Could be timing issue if its cranking long and hesitating. Could be out just a scoshe...I'd throw a light on it and see where its at before you go throwing cash at something you could fix for free.

4. mp3deviant721

mp3deviant721 Newbie

Truck:
    '86 Pickup
    Not really having any pinging issues. But when I get a chance to borrow a timing light from school I will check the timing just to be sure. To Litneon, i just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and it did not solve the problem. What else should I look at? Tune-up items maybe? Like spark plugs, plug wires, etc?

5. neverlowenuff

neverlowenuff Member

Truck:
    85 reg cab
    I'd take this time to replace allthe cheap easy stuff...i.e plugs wires cap rotor etc. Not gonna hurt nothing and its all simple stuff and should be done regularly anyways. Other than that id check timing and go from there. Now you said 22re injected motor right? Not 22r carb'd motor?

6. mp3deviant721

mp3deviant721 Newbie

Truck:
    '86 Pickup
    Its the 22r. It has a carb. I didn't realize that I said 22re in my original post. OOPS. I am going to do all the tune-up stuff soon. We will see what that does.