help... had to hotwire my truck =(

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by donellk, Aug 9, 2012.

1. donellk

donellk Member

Truck:
    '93 Toyota Pick up
    So i laid the truck out at a red light told my brother its thursday so somethings going to happen to it today... popped it up started driving en the cluster went out so i pulled over turned it off but left the key in the ignition opened the door and started hearing a buzz... guessing thats the door buzzer ive never heard it before lol! Went to turn the truck back on and nothing at all =( had to cut the starter wire and hot wire it... anyone knows what this could be? im thinking I need a new ignition switch but idk why the brake lights and cluster aren't working!

2. donellk

donellk Member

Truck:
    '93 Toyota Pick up
    Also no ac... i normally dont use it but i turned it on at the light and it was fine turn it back off when i drove off... thinking something might have shorted out!

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The switch is held in with a single Philips head screw directly opposite the ignition key. Drop the lower dash and you can access it. I just fixed the same issue on a friend's runner last week. The contacts in the switch get gummed up and corroded over time.

4. donellk

donellk Member

Truck:
    '93 Toyota Pick up
    Thanks so much ill be ordering a new switch and cylinder! The switch wires are all pretty messed up from who ever installed an alarm before i bought it!

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    No need for the cylinder if all that's bad is the electrical. The switch comes with about 6" of wire hanging off the back to the main plug. Heck, just go to a wrecking yard and get one from the same era as yours. I think the split is 89-92 and 93-95.

6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Check the fuses @ the drivers kick panel !
    The IGN fuse triggers the fuel pump relay, & AC on & a lot more!
    Also check the EFI & Eng. fuse @ the same location!:cool:

7. donellk

donellk Member

Truck:
    '93 Toyota Pick up
    Update on this issue! My brothers lincoln did the same damn thing my truck did so we tried jumping his at the starter solenoid and ended up working what happened was the constant for the solenoid got pinched so we ran a new constant to his starter solenoid and it works perfectly! Today i went at and check all wires going to my starter and then pulled all the fuses and found a hair line crack in the am1 fuse i jumped it with a wire and the truck works perfectly! Grabbed a new fuse and its fine! I have no clue what the am1 fuse is for but thats what the issue was not the ignition switch!