Help !! Charge and Brake light-- Did research still lit

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 22R88, Aug 29, 2011.

1. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Hi Guys,

1988 Toy 2WD DLX, 22R with 5-spd. 200,000ish miles
    Yesterday I stopped to put gas in it. When I started backup the two lights came on together at idle. I revved the engine slightly and they went out, at idl they came back on. I left and as I started cruising they went out and was ok to home about 4 miles away. This morning I started it and it was good, I stopped by O'reily' Auto Parts and when I went outside with them to check it the lights came back on. The employee with the tester said that the Alt was only showing 33~AMPs so I revved a bit the light went off and it read 44~ amps. I drove home and the lights stayed on the whole way. I pulled the Alt and went buy a new one and installed. When I first started it back up the lights were back on, I shut it down and re-started and they have been on ever since. They are FAINT but on. I saw the thread about the relay on the Pass side but I can not locate it. I do have a green box with a connector with a bunch of wires going to it that the box has emission control on that when I unplug the engine will run but not idle. I have looked a the charge fuse, Engine fuse and tapped the dash board. With engine off I have 12.8 volts and running I have 14.3 so I think that the Alt is good, I think my old one was too but with so many miles it didn't hurt to replace I guess !! Does anyone have pic of this relay ?
    any other tips appreciated.

Thanks,
    22R88

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Did you ever figureout your problem??

I'm having a similar problem and have run out of ideas..

3. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    old thread, but when my truck does this i pull the ebrake handle out(brakes engaged) and not too hard but with some manual labor push the handle back in (brake disengaged).

4. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    I did not fully seat the plug into the back of the new alt. I had the motor running and was checking the wiring and when I pushed the back of the plug it fixed it. I did have to replace the new alt with another from O'reily as it went bad a few months later. I wish I had just rebuilt my factory one at the time but at least I have a lifetime warranty on this one and I am pretty good at changing it !!!

Best of Luck
    22R88