Heater Problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by DannyBoyRude, Nov 21, 2009.

1. DannyBoyRude

DannyBoyRude Veteran

Truck:
    Hey guys.. sorry i haven't posted anything new lately.... anyway., question for you guys. Can any one help me trouble shoot the heater in my 84? the fan works, but I don't get any heat... I also move the temperature control arm to heat and nothing.. any suggestions?

2. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    check the wiring..maybe the wring is messed up so wen u try adjust it the wires dnt engage it...or maybe it could just be the heater itself..

3. Nook

Nook Addict

Check the cable from the heater control to the heater valve under the hood on the firewall, cable may be broken, unhooked from valve, unhooked from heater control, valve frozen and not opening, or heater core may be plugged, air intake may be plugged with leaves and debri, several options.

4. Mufdvr

Mufdvr Newbie

Truck:
    88 TOY,SHORT BD REG CAB
    That happen to mine so i removed the cable that goes to the heater control valve pulled the valve by hand open and now my heater works just like normal

5. DannyBoyRude

DannyBoyRude Veteran

Truck:
    They wiring appears to be fine.., because the fan kicks on..

Nook... I checked the valve you mentioned and the cable seems to be opening it from what I can tell.. Though what I will do is remove it and see if it's not just clogged or simply internally broken.. thanks..

yeah.. I think that goes along with what nook is saying.. gonna try working on it tomorrow... see what happens..

thanks for the help guys! :D

6. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    you should hear a clunk when you move the lever from hot to cold, it will be the door opening from the heater box.

7. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    Do you have a temp gauge in your truck? If so what's it reading? Have you checked your antifreeze level recently? Also your thermostat could be stuck open which isn't letting your engine warm up enough so you have heat.

8. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    Don't know why you would need heat in Cali! :shrug: ;)

9. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    the "clunk" is the fresh/recirculated air flap or the directional diverter (defog/floor) not the heater.

a stuck open thermostat will still allow the motor to heat up just fine, but it will take 20min or so to get heat. a thermostat is just there to help the motor warm up faster.

start the car cold, with the temp selector on "cold" after it warms up check with your hand the hoses going to the valve on the firewall. one side of the valve should be hot and the other cold. the "rod" on the valve should be very short as the plunger inside has moved to block the passage.

move the temp selector to "hot" now hot fluid should flow through the valve making both sides hot. now the "rod" should be almost fully visable (lil more then a inch of rod)

this might just be a air bubble, as most times ive seen, the heater valve is higher then the rad cap making it hard to bleed.

also did you do any work to the motor recently that involved coolant?

10. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    Maybe in Cali it will but not here. You will freeze your butt off if you have a stat stuck open here.

A good way that usually helps to get air out of the system is to jack the front end up and put it on axle stands. Run the motor to operating temp with the rad cap off and the heater on high. Keep the revs up a bit on the motor to about 2500. Do this for a 5-10 minutes and it should get rid of the air in the line. Like Sho says the lines are higher than the rad cap and can trap air bubbles.

11. TDS909

TDS909 Veteran

Truck:
    1992 st cab
    Its kinda cold out here, 50s-40s at night:rolleyes:

12. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    does yur engine heat up correctly too?

13. DannyBoyRude

DannyBoyRude Veteran

Truck:
    I got me some heat!!

Thanks for all of your help guys!! I did just as you suggested ShoNuff and checked the valve that allows the hot water to flow to the heater and it looked fine.. I took it off either way just to make sure and yep it was fine! So, what I ended up doing was, I opened up the outlet hose of the heater to vent. I hooked up a hose to the inlet of the heater and forced water into the heater, forcing whatever was clogging the heater out... cleaned it up pretty good 'cuz the heater is now working and better than before!

Just thought I'd give you guys an update.. thanks for all the help..

:waytogo:

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Newbie

related heater problem...

OK bear with me I only fix the simple stuff... I have an '87 4x4 pickup, 22R engine, and have a very similar heater problem...it never gets warm inside the cab in the winter. I think I've traced it to a gummy/stuck control cable (with a blue outer sheath) that was preventing the valve inside the engine compartment from opening and closing. So I did the WD40 thing and now I can easily open/close that valve by hand. However, the hot/cold control slider inside the cab only seems to open/close the flap under the dash and doesn't seem to be controlling that valve cable, and I'm guessing it's supposed to... I see where the blue control cable pops through the firewall into the cab, and it's deep inside the dash. So the dummy question is: how much of the dash do I have to take apart to reattach that blue control cable to the hot/cold slider, or am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance... –bigdaddy