Heater core replacement

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Gr8KornHolio, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    Ok, so I went to replace my heater core on my 85 this weekend and by step 2 I was confused. The books say to remove the glove box and you should be able to see all the upper vent stuff to remove it. I couldn't see squat or make out anything it was talking about. Am I missing something here, or am I just not seeing what I'm supposed to be. Any help from someone who's done this would be much appreciated.

2. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Just pull the dash. Much easier.

3. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Maybe this will help you see what's what. This is what the dash area of my '86 parts truck looks like just now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the second picture, left to right, you see the plenum/control box, the heater core box, the AC core box, and the blower. In the lower left there's a vertical bracket that the left side of the radio bracket used to mount to. I had to clear away a lot of stuff to get to it all. In my limited opinion, removing the dash is hard, but getting to the heater core without removing the dash will be nearly impossible.

Clear as mud?

4. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    God I pray that mine never goes out !!!

22R88

5. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    i think mine is plugged up as i can barely get any heat out of it, but then again, it's always freaking hot here in texas anyway lol

6. Madness

Madness Enthusiast

Heater cores suck. The only thing I can tell you to do is to pull the entire dash. Label all of your wires and keep track of your screws. Go through it methodically and logically and there should be some nuts in the engine bay on the firewall that hold the heater box in.

Edit: I could be wrong about that last bit, I've done heater cores on 3 of my vehicles...