Headlights are out on my 75 . . .

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by lownloud, Jun 21, 2009.

1. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Okay . . . Admitting Im stuck. This is where I hope some hilux owners can help . . . I have no headlights, been working great until the other day. The parking lights, and all other indicators work. All the fuses are ested and working great. At first, Im thinking hmm, must be a bad connection in the dimmer switch on the console, contacts are good & not corroded, I tested for power there ( none ). Ive read the chiltons and it says that theres a headlight relay by the main fuseblock ( guessing its the lil black box - I need pics please ) Im also guessing Im missing either a fusable link ( ideas or pics please ) Ive looked for easier to read pictures or hands on stuff, cant find any. Anyone had this happen or have a thought - Desperation has overcome me. I dont need lights for my job, plus I have 2 more rigs, but, I love running the lights. I physically tested each headlamp and they all work. Any thoughts greatly appreciated . . . Pictures would be outstanding . . . :shrug:

2. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    I know how you feel man, i had a subaru that the lights went out on.
    Ended up being a ground loose that was behind the drivers kick panel..
    who puts that there!?!?!?!

Anyway, ill look and see if i can find anything to help, but i feel someone will beat me to it...:rolleyes:

I do know the haynes repair manuals USUALY have a wireing diagram in the back.
    Only thing there good for IMO.

3. Nook

Nook Addict

4. Sam78

Sam78 Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 toyota longbed 5speed 20R
    My truck has a mood swing once in a great while my light dont turn on and I have to hit my brights on then off and it makes my lights turn on for some reason. I would give that a shot i have no clue why mine does it eaither. Ive checked everything and it all looks to be good.:confused:

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    so neither the brights nor the normal headlights work?

and all other lights work fine as normal (dimmer functions)?

there should be at least 1 wire to the back of the headlight switch that is always hot. if not then you have a blown fuse somewhere.

6. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:

No dimming of lights ( from high to low ), park lights work fine from switch!

7. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Thanks Nolan, one of the wires was burnt out, and it was the headlight wire! :waytogo: This guys is why we have these forums here! Thanks to all for your answers and help. FYI will be needing a new turn signal stator ( :shrug: ) It screws to the steering hub with 3 screws, yes I think I have the name right but not sure, anyone have one or know where to get one ?

8. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    my 75 looks alot like the 78 parts truck i got.

ill see about confirming that for you today.

9. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    the relay is tucked up under by your clutch pedal. mine went out too. and are you talking about the stator as in the high/low switch? with the lever and all that? napa has them...for like 180 bucks. i have an extra. i can post a picture. id let it go for like 10 bucks plus shipping. 20 if you want me to take it all apart and clean the contacts. :D

10. daruma

daruma Member

sorry to revive a dead thread. My 75 is having similar problems. When I try to turn my headlight on, a relay in the engine bay buzzes It's on the Passenger side. What is this part and where do they sell it?