headlight door &etc

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by nails, May 20, 2016.

1. nails

nails Newbie

Truck:
    1980 4X4
    Noob here. I did a quick search here and more extensive one in webistan. Does anyone have a source for a driver's side headlight door, 1980 4X4? Opinions about the best parts suppliers? Steel panels vs. fiberglass?

My story: had this rig since 87, replaced driveline with '84 (22R, 5-sp). Factory AC! Also factory-option rust.
    Then four months b4 my 60th birthday, I had my first EVER car wreck: some guy flying up the dirt road head-ends me. Skid marks in the dirt said I was almost stopped and where I was supposed to be just before impact. $1350, and I kept the truck.
    He was in a Grand Prix, car totaled and totally dead (we spent an hour picking up pieces of it), he (a much younger firewood cutter) had an A-C separation. Me, fine, drove truck onto the trailer (fan rubbing on radiator or I would've driven it home). Didn't even loose any radiator fluid.
    After a couple hrs with a hydraulic body-cylinder thing, it's basically fixed. Front body mount bent back but needs some welding. Inner fender the same -- I had to cut out the hard crinkles. I'm surprised how well it straightened out. An hour or two with the torch and we'll be golden.
    Now I need an outer fender, the sticky black stuff for the joint with the inner fender, the plastic flap that skirts across the bottom of the inner fender, grille (and that headlight trim!), and the AC condenser -- I think that's all.
    Could've been worse, I reckon.

2. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

any luck? i'm in the same ball prk - seekin best source 4 body/trim……
    No junk yrds here (w/over 10y/o stuff).
    NE USA

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Search all Toyota only wreckers, call them !!

4. nails

nails Newbie

Truck:
    1980 4X4
  5. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

thanks Nails.

Is there one; anyplace? on-line (not the dealer) where we can go to get details like this? i.e. "even-though the run on model X (in this case '76 -'83) was 8 yrs. a headlght change came in '81"…

I'm new here, been a 'one model restorer' (have had my '70 bronk since '83) and have an incredibly large supply of resources for my maintenance/mod/restore use. I would think that would B true of the 'classic toyota truck' too. I only C 1 or 2 organizations (here & a 4 WD truck 'club' on-line) for this. Is there regional ones, other national ones? Fleebay is too commercially oriented. Today I go to the dealer for tech & prts availability/advice. It will B interesting. I have emailed one aftermrkt guy who said "I don't know' but it's an issue like the Trekker (rare) - my possible 2.2L diesel rebuild.

Thanks ~

6. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

Dealer no help - gave him the VIN (as requested) all he said wuz "the fuel pump is avail @ $3,500. Can't tell on other prts 4 motor."

7. Steve M Clark

Steve M Clark Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5 short bed
  8. chrlsful

chrlsful Newbie

Thanks Steve, very helpful!