"Grabby" brakes

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Perkolator, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I don't drive my Hilux very much but when I do I notice the brakes are quite "grabby". I notice it's both the front disc and rear drum brakes doing it. Everything grabs so hard and so quick that I often hear/feel the tires skidding, even at lowish speeds. I can easily lock up all 4 if not paying attention. I mean it's fun an all, but kinda dangerous obviously.

I haven't really had any vehicles this old, so I dunno if it's related to an older braking system or what? Maybe the parts don't have "smooth action" and I need to take everything apart and do a complete flush and rebuild on all brake components to remove any possible old crystallized brake fluid, contaminants, etc?

Are there any real "upgrades" I can do? What would it take to add ABS to an older vehicle?

This is one of the issues that currently prevents me from driving my truck to work. Often the freeway will go from everyone doing 70, to everyone slamming their brakes. I maintain a reasonable distance between the cars in front, but I don't drive slow either. I'm lucky my 93 pickup with 33s and stock brakes manages to stop as well as it does, almost messed my pants a few months back when a guy semi cut me off (they KNOW a Toyota has no passing power, so they take advantage all the time) and then slammed on his brakes to avoid rear ending the car in front. haven't felt those mud tires skid in a long time :)

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Is the pedal very firm?

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    no, they feel normal. don't feel spongy at all either.

i haven't gone through them myself, maybe i just need to do that. could just be a combo of old system, lightweight truck, improper f/r adjustment, etc.