Going crazy, truck not charging after new alt

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by djp2, Mar 28, 2015.

1. djp2

djp2 Newbie

So i have replaced the alternator voltage regulator and battery, all brand new. my issue i am having is the truck will not charge at all. here is the funny part, if i unplug the charge wire from the alternator and test the output of the alternator it works, at idol reading 13.8, now if i plug the charge wire back on it reads what ever the battery is at. now i have searched the truck up and down and cannot find a charge light relay, it is nowhere to be found. any help would be amazing. if you need more information ask but i just can't figure this one out.

2. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    Sounds like a voltage regulator issue. I'm not totally up on the specifics but if you give some year/model info someone can definitely help.

3. djp2

djp2 Newbie

1979 hilux, regulator has been replaced, this is the 3rd one and 4th alternator and 3rd battery, i was reading on another form that if the charge light relay is bad it won't charge, but in my case this truck does not have one, I've ripped the dash out and there is no relay for this charge light.

4. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Fusible link? I;m not familiar with with specific model but I know those were popular in multitude of use back in the days..
    Basically do a continuity test to see if your current flows from one end to the other,

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    GM 3 wire alt. Problem solved

6. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    Did you ever figure out the issue? I'm running into a similar problem with the charge light.