getting the spare tire down

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by salabim, Dec 6, 2016.

1. salabim

salabim Newbie

Poking around in our 88 single cab I found the original jack in its holder and the long extension with the hook end hanging on clips behind the seat on cab wall. Also found a shiny silver short handle lug wrench with a sort of square hole in the handle. But that's all. The extension square end doesn't fit the lug wrench square hole.
    Would like to check the spare but cant remember what all I need to lower it down.
    Do I need the short extension and the crank handle along with the extension I already have? Is there anything else I am missing?(besides my mind)
    Any tricks or tips on getting the spare down?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Stick the hook end into the slot above the spare. Grab some vicegrips and clamp em onto that extension thing and turn it

EDIT: you might be missing the piece that ends in a T

3. salabim

salabim Newbie

Good idea on the vice grips jetas, I will give that a try. After looking at the manual I am missing the T but found a new one on epay for twenty bucks with shipping. Most of the parts seem to be available except for the jack, which I aint gonna pay $130 bucks for anyway.
    Hopefully the parts aren't rusted to badly under the truck.

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    you might be able to get some spray penetrant on the hanger assembly with the tire in place. some people end up having to cut theirs off because of rust/siezed.

salabim likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hit the junkyard, theres gotta be atleast one truck there with what you needp

salabim and twizted1 like this.
  6. salabim

salabim Newbie

Yea Perkolator I was thinking of starting to soak the hanger stuff in PB Blaster. Hoping not to have to do any cutting. The tire has been up there for a while and I would like to be able to have a spare if possible.

jetas,, I don't have much experience with junkers but with this old truck im a gonna have to. My buddy's favorite place is pick a part here in SoCal. I am gonna be moving from Hollywood to sacramento next month and need to check out the Rancho Cordova Toyota wrecker.

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yep, there's a Toyota only yard in RC. Haven't been there myself but heard they are not bad. All the other Toyotas in other yards get picked over sooooo quick. I doubt someone's touched the tire hanger though, even check ebay.