General issues with 1965 stout

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Alex Rockaway, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Alex Rockaway

Alex Rockaway Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but to put it all in a nutshell I bought my 65 about 10 years ago, and with some hard work and basic knowledge I got it running and was disappointed with just about everything, but in order, the brakes (even after new pads on the drums) and the power in that 4 cylinder engine were the worst. The gear ratio was a little bit annoying, but I expected that. Then I got a carburetor rebuild kit, made a nice clean space to do the work, and had to abandon the project, to take care of an ailing family member. When I returned, the stout had been towed, and I think in the process, some linkage parts for the carb shook loose, so I was thinking about putting in a newer engine/carb that would match the tranny. Or not, depending on cost. My dream was always to put a 4 x 4 diesel setup in it and switch to a disc brake conversion. I think it's a 3R engine, but I'd have to check. I have photocopied and bound versions of the original manuals. One for the engine, the other covers everything else. Thanks for listening, and I'll set up separate forums, or add to existing about the brake conversion and engine swap. But if anyone has a complete carb with the linkage parts attaching it to the rest of the car, obviously I would be game. Thanks, Alex